Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

anybody help me get started?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Spike

Default anybody help me get started?

im a 20 year old in florida.. i want to start hunting again.. i hunted when i was younger but my father passed away during my first hunt ( heart complications ) and i havent hunted since but since my dad loved hunting so much and i love hunting i decided to get back into it.. i dont remember many things about hunting so if you can help me out at all i would really appreciate it..

im getting a browning xbolt 30.06

i ordered a 3x9x40 carl zeiss conquest scope to be mounted on the 30.06 im going to buy.. what do i need to know before i go in there with this scope? will bass pro shops mount the scope and bore sight it for me? and from there how do i sight in the gun or shoot it to make sure its accurate? what kind of bullets should i use? id like to know some things about it before i go in there just so i know what im gonna need to do.. ( im just confused because of the browning scope mounts are different sizes and i dont know what that means or what grain bullet is best to have.. ) any advice on anything i need to know would be appreciated.. ive got alot of my fathers old guns that im going to start using as well but since ive had my son i wanted to get out on the trails and be able to teach him everything about hunting.. thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 02:31 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome! I'm glad you have decided to join your hunting brothers and sisters in the field and were are glad to have you here. Safety and hitting your target are the most important aspects of hunting. Practice often with your weapon of choice and always strive for a quick clean kill. Know and follow the 10 commandments of gun safety. Here's a little video to get you started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwIOADtxps
I'll be glad to answer any questions. Thanks and good luck in the field.
Live it up! Deerwoods Doug
Old 10-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

One thing you can do is take a hunter safety course.
That will teach you about the basics of gun safety.
Good Luck
Always treat all firearms as if loaded, keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

jrbsr
Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

150 grain core lokts will get you where you wanna be........gutting...
Old 10-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Find a mentor. Any friends that hunt?
Old 10-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

BrowningF150 look through these threads and you will find plenty of info to get you started. That 30-06 and scope should take care of most of your hunting needs. That, a good .22 rifle and a shotgun and your basic firearm needs are covered.
As far as bullet weights I'ld go with anything from 150-168 gr. and Bass Pro should be able to mount and bore site your new rifle.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Spike

Ok so do I want the " in between grain" not too slow not too fast but in the middle? I've got everything else figured out but any tips on how to sight my rifle in? I'm getting bass pro to mount the scope and bore sight it but do they bore sight it for a specific yardage or do I adjust that myself?
Old 10-09-2011, 02:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: sighting in a scope.

Having BassPro bore-sight your scope will get you pretty close. Head out to a local range and do a little fine-tuning. The top knob is for up and down. The right-hand knob is for left and right.

All a boresite does is line up your scope with the barrel of your gun. Usually not accounting for the trajectory of the actual bullet.

PS Welcome back to hunting! As has been said. a Mentor ill be a great tool, but nowadays you can find everything you need to know online. Special emphasis on firearm saftey and How to field dress a deer.

When I as 14 I had to gut my first deer by myself with no help and no idea what I as doing. It took me about an hour and I was extremely nervous I was doing something wrong.

Last edited by Seif5034; 10-09-2011 at 02:32 AM.