Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is this kid too young to be hunting? >

Is this kid too young to be hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is this kid too young to be hunting?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

if he is hunting in wisconsin he is too young to shoot a deer. you have to be 10 in wisconsin
Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default How I was Taught

I think that children should start on "scouting" trips with no firearms present. As soon as their interest begins to wonder, call it a day. If you force the issue, it will cease to be fun and they will want to avoid the trips.

Take them on actual small game hunts (with you as the hunter) These may be short hunts. End with some target shooting as the reward for their efforts.

Big game hunts (with you as the hunter) when they can sit still for a reasonable time. Even when the reach the age when they can hunt, even if they pass a hunter education course, they should be under close supervision. Adults make mistakes because of the excitement of the moment. It has to be assumed that young folks are even more likely to do so.

Eventually, they will hold their own firearm with you hunting nearby. Then hunt on their own.

You are responsible for your childs safety as well as that of the other hunters in the woods. That is the way I was taught and it has stood the test of time.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dejager
if he is hunting in wisconsin he is too young to shoot a deer. you have to be 10 in wisconsin
Don't think he intended for the child to actually shoot the deer.

When you start taking kids in the woods, you first and foremost need to realize that it will be a different type of hunt than if you do it solo. It's all about keeping them engaged and interested. Some thoughts:

- go places that are easily accessible (don't drag them on long walks through nasty terrain to get to the stand)
- go when the weather is decent (we can handle bad conditions...kids usually have a lower tolerance for it)
- be patient and flexible. You will probably have to leave the stand earlier than you would on your own.

It's all about getting them interested and giving them good memories to build upon later. If you make their first experiences boring, miserable ones, you'll turn them off faster than you hook them. Their first hunts are about them, not you. I think some hunters forget this...I know of a few kids that have been turned off because of an over-eager parent that tried throwing them into the deep end of the pool too early.

With that said, starting early is probably better than waiting until they're 10, 12 or older. By then, they'll already have other interests competing for their time. I started with mine when they were toddlers, and they're already hooked (older now).
Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first "hunt" I recall was with my dad .... at age about 5. Walking with him as he and his lemon heared pointer "Lou" searched for quail around Amite , La. That was about 1953. Santa brought me a 3 shot, bolt action Mossberg .410 when I was 8. Dad taught me every safety rule that there is and "Barney Fife'd" me for years ... one shell at a time, and in my pocket until game (squirrel, rabbit, raccoon or nutria) showed up. Somewhere around age 13 or so, I was on my own still hunting squirrels and hunting rabbits with beagles. At 15, I was hunting ducks with an old 12 ga. Savage SBS and deer with my beloved Remingotn 600 in 6.5 Rem. Mag.

If the parent or mentor is worth his/her salt, they should know best. I am a very cautious sort by habit, and did not allow my children to hunt un******ed by me until about age 15.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default hunting

Its definately a different hunt with the little ones. I started my oldest daughter with morning hunts when she was 7. We would carefully and quietly go to the stand before light and then would sit and whisper until sun-up. Usually after about two hours she would inform me that she needed to pee. This was my que that it was time to leave and go get breakfast.
Four years later, shes a pretty polished hunter. She shoots a .243 and is extremely stealthy around deer. I still sit in the stand with her and find myself saving the good deer for her. She still wants to shoot the little bucks when they walk out but she knows better.
Some of my favorite one on one times with her were in the deer stand. When its dark, those kids will tell you everything. By not forcing her, I was able to develope her love for the sport.
Make it fun for them, dont push them and you will have a hunting partner for years to come.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Spike

Whenever both the kid and the parents is ready.