Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How Early Is Too Early??? Estrus Scent >

How Early Is Too Early??? Estrus Scent

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Early Is Too Early??? Estrus Scent

Old 10-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default How Early Is Too Early??? Estrus Scent

I went spotting near near my hunting spot last night in PA and saw three bucks bumping a doe around the field (One Shooter). They had their nose to her rear and seemed as if they were very interested in whatever she was dealing with. Being this early in the year, is it to early to use some sort of estrus scent? I usually wouldnt try using it until around Oct 22 or so, but this situation has me thinking differently. Any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Still seems a couple weeks early for that (at least here in SW IN anyway) but if you're seeing signs of chasing, I'd say use it and see the reaction you get. Use it sparingly.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Spike

the "rut" is not a concrete thing. different deer enter this phase at different time because each deers body is different. you could try some scent and see what happens it cant hurt. i ve used it in early bow season before, i cant say that it help but i dont think it hurt either
Old 10-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

I was thinking about this too.

Are deer really so smart that estrus scent two weeks early would spook them? I don't think they keep a calendar. They probably know that the days are getting shorter, the temperature is lower, and the velvet on their antlers is off, and that is about it. I wouldn't think it could hurt anything, and it might trick a few deer.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know if it would work so hot that early say on a drag line, but a few drops in a early scrape or even a mock scrape can spark some curiosity. Biggest drawback imo with doe estrus is that does more times than not DONT like it, and snorting/blowing are the result. I would go REAL sparingly if you choose to give it a try.