Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Choke for deer?

Old 10-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Spike

Default Choke for deer?

If any hunt with a Mossberg 835, is there a choke tube available that fits in the barrel like the Ulti full turkey choke that comes in the gun. I thought I read that buckshot should not be used with that particular choke tube. Someone told me Patternmaster(I think that's the company)sells some for deerhunting with that gun but for about $90(ouch). Any know of any alternative other than the Accu-Mag tubes for that gun.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by leeman
If any hunt with a Mossberg 835, is there a choke tube available that fits in the barrel like the Ulti full turkey choke that comes in the gun. I thought I read that buckshot should not be used with that particular choke tube. Someone told me Patternmaster(I think that's the company)sells some for deerhunting with that gun but for about $90(ouch). Any know of any alternative other than the Accu-Mag tubes for that gun.
Buckshot should be shot in larger chokes.
The smaller the chock, the more the pellets deform.
Try to patteren buchshot with a mod chock, or a inproved cylender choke.

JMHO
Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Spike

Thanks jrbsr. I agree those are the choke choices but I want info on a recommended aftermarket choke tube for that particular gun.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buckshot is cheap enough. I'd also try improved or modified. If one works for you, no need to go aftermarket, but that's up to you. Pattern Master and Buck Kicker are brands I've heard of. Never tried either one though. I shoot rifled slugs from a smoothbore barrel with rifle sights on my Mossberg 500. This will put slugs in a 3-4" group out to 75 yds. I have more faith in that combo than buckshot. If you are limited to buckshot try to keep shots at 50 yds or less for best results.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Spike

Let me be more specific about this. I am looking for an aftermarket ported choke tube in modified or improved cylinder that will work for this gun, Thanks.