Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New deer hunter

Old 10-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Spike

Default New deer hunter

Hello all great site you all have here.

As the title says I am a new deer hunter. This will be my second year ever to hunt deer. Went in 2009 and only had a 12ga with slugs. I was out of the country last year. This year I am going to use my SKS. The area I am going to be hunting is a public hunting area. From doing some scouting I think I have found a decent area. The area runs north to south. At the north end is where two ridges come together. the ridges run to the south for approx 1.5mi. spreading further apart gradually. they are both approx. 100 feet high from the floor of the draw. There is a good deer/game trail in the bottom of the draw. At the end of all this is a small open field i.e. field grass. The field is only about 60 yds x 30 yds with a dry creek bed along the east and south edge of the field. so with this being known where should I set up. I will not be using a stand. I will just use a natural blind or sit at the base of a tree.

Being as I am in N.E. OK there are a lot of trees and so shots are short anyways Maybe 50yds max if your lucky. other than the long 60yd. open field. So tell me where would be a good place for me to be. I will go scout more this week when I am off work also.

Last edited by mongo44; 10-01-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Spike

Bring your camera along, get up high and snap some pics.