Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mount Question

Old 09-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Mount Question

This is a buck that I got with my shotgun before I started bowhunting. I didnt have the money to have hiim mounted back then, but I have always wanted to have him mounted. Would you have mounted him? I know its my own decision, I was just wondering what others thought.

I know the pictures are kind of poor, but it was way before I really got into hunting, and learned how to take good pics.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the most part nowadays if I shoot a buck I'm going to have it mounted, if you have a special reason for a certain buck, ie your 1st buck, 1st whitetail etc...

I'd probably at least do a european on any buck I shot, ie smaller than what I want to put on the wall.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

Heck yeah, definitely, especially if it's your first buck
Old 09-26-2011, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

I would have for sure.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nice deer

Getting a mount is a very personal decision. These days they are very pricey too! I have two shoulder mounts of what are now very nice but not above average 8 pointers. Just a few short years ago you just did not see too many deer live to see 3 or 4 years since most people would shoot only bucks and gladly kill a spike even if they could have taken a doe.

Now deer management has been more popular and people are starting to let little bucks grow. Not everyone of course.

Whoulda, coulda, shoulda will drive you nuts. Now, anything that I pay to have mounted will have to be bigger than what is already up there but I do Eros with my son on every buck we take.

I'll tell I've never been sorry for getting mine done that's for sure and the one in that picture is a really pretty rack.

Last edited by Scottdnramember; 09-26-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice buck, but is it representative of the bigger bucks in the area. If it is then I wouldn't hesitate to mount the deer. If it is the first buck you have shot then that would weigh heavily in my decision.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. At the time that I got him, the only buck I had gotten before him, was a scrub 6 pointer, so ya, he was huge to me at the time. To this date, I only have 1 that would match him, and he is on the wall. Kind of funny, they are both right around 120. To be honest, for our area, they are both awesome bucks.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

At the very least do a Euro mount of him on a plaque or pedestal. I would even do the same on the 6 if you still have him. Being that it was actually your 1st.