Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pass on a doe?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:42 AM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Default Pass on a doe?

Tomorrow is opening day in Ohio!! I've been watching a few nice shooter bucks in my area. My delima is if I have an oppertunity to take a doe do I take it or wait a few weeks and see if one of the shooters come into range. I dont want to spook them from the area shooting/tracking a doe but it will be hard to not fill my early season tag.
sfd546 is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 AM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
YooperMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cenral Illinois
Posts: 3,180
Default

Certainly a dilemna I think about as well. For me, if it is opening day, early on, say before 4:00, I'll whack a doe. After that, for maybe the first few days, I don't shoot until I have a better idea of what's around and can see what kind of patterns are developing. I'm a fan of shooting the first doe that comes out so as not to spook a field full of deer, and in an ideal world, this can be handled fairly early in the day, assuming it's afternoon hunting this time of year.

My best spot sees a good amount of morning movement, so at this spot, i've shot many does around 9:00 a.m. which is nice because then I can shoot them, and recover them at mid-day when there isn't much going on, movement-wise.

I can usually lay off the does for the first few days, but then the finger gets itchy. Good luck on your season!
YooperMike is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 06:02 AM
  #3  
Fork Horn
 
louie6014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 196
Default

Never pass on the opertunity, especially if your filling the freezer... But thats coming from an archery only hunter... Ive passed and wished I wouldnt have when I didnt fill out my tag, and Im down to only ground venison in the freezer... Bucks are gunna show on your rut hunts... (IMO)
louie6014 is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 AM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
doetrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sulphur,Indiana
Posts: 1,350
Default

I will take a Doe let her lay and hope for a nice Buck and if possible get both. But the Does are my favorite table fare I will take them in a heartbeat Buck be spooked or not.
doetrain is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 01:25 PM
  #5  
Fork Horn
 
pearsontx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: kansas
Posts: 336
Default

i only bow hunt but 95% of the time i don't shoot my does until i tag out on my buck. i also hunt for different reasons then people that go out and whacks every doe they see. but when the other 5% comes into play is if i'm with in an hour from getting down and i can get it on video i will stick her.
pearsontx4 is offline  
Old 09-23-2011, 03:32 PM
  #6  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 176
Default

Originally Posted by doetrain View Post
I will take a Doe let her lay and hope for a nice Buck and if possible get both. But the Does are my favorite table fare I will take them in a heartbeat Buck be spooked or not.
Unfortunately in Ohio you must tag the down deer before you can shoot another one. So if he shoots the Doe he will have to tag her but he can let her lay then and get another one.

CVG Ohio
CVG Ohio is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.