Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

22 Hornet for Deer?

Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol my 13 y/o daughter is llike wtf...she makes clean kills, deer drop inside 20 yards, with her 223 since she was 8 y/o.....i could set up a class where she could show yall how its done if ya like....

dont get me wrong, i wouldnt go up north with a 223, but in texas we have dog deer.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sauer06
I do not know everthing about the deer hunting in your area, but you must understand some things, if you do not make a perfect shot with your 223 you will have difficult time to say the least recovering your deer. If you use a larger cal 243 and up you will have a much better chance if things don't go exactly your way. That being said you always want to down your deer as quickly as possible. I know what the 243 will do against white tails up in MN and that is the smallest cal any of us will use.
Good luck hunting.
+1...in our group only the teens use 243....just because its light recoil and has enough stopping power....everyone else uses .270's or 30-06....or you can be like my uncle and overkill the deer with a 300 ultra mag.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Simple....NOT
Old 09-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my book, ABSOLUTELY NOT! An absurd idea in my opinion.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:40 AM
Typical Buck

A little on the light side but it has been done for years. I have often used my .22 Hi-Power or .223 for deer. Of all the dead deer you find in the woods, do you really think that they were all shot with .22 caliber bullets ? I found a huge dead 8 point in West Virginia and it had a fresh bullet hole through the base of the rack ( A soft point bullet goes through wood and antler like a woodpecker). Anyway, the diameter of the hole looked to be about .277-.284. I don't know where else it was hit because it was flyblown and I did not want to roll it around. I bet the guy emptied his rifle on it. So much for heavier bullets.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
.... i wouldnt go up north with a 223, but in texas we have dog deer.

Same here in Mississippi. I'll go .223 or above. I've lived both in Mississippi and Michigan so, I can tell you DO NOT try a .22 up north unless you can shoot MOA or better. They grow 'em big up north.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

I would not even think of doing it, thank God it is not legal in MI