Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Dont forget to take a kid Snipe hunting this year. >

Dont forget to take a kid Snipe hunting this year.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dont forget to take a kid Snipe hunting this year.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Spike

Default Dont forget to take a kid Snipe hunting this year.

Give a kid a gift they will never forget, this year while at your camp take a smarty pants tough guy teenager snipe hunting about midnight. Make sure you give them a flashlight that isnt worth a crap and a bag to "bag" the bird with. Teach them how to properly call in Snipe by using their mating call. Set up a camera near by and "enjoy" Hope everyone has a great Snipe season this year!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

That only works on city slickers. My kid knows that there really is a such thing as a snipe and that you need a migratory bird stamp to hunt them

Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that only works on city slickers, but we have a fish call that we try to get guys to stick their head under the water with and blow on.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Spike

well find you a city kid or a country one thats been overly sheltered and get them in the woods...every child needs to learn about nature
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

You kNw- the snipe hunt technique may have come from an idea of a way to hunt wood****, that during the spring mating season, will fly way up high over grassy OR LOW VEGETATION AREAS NEAR MARSHES, SWAMPS, SLOUGHS ETC RIGHT AT ABOUT SUNSET. THEN THEY LITERALLY FALL FROM THE SKY, MAKING A "PEENT" SOUND BEFORE THEY LAND OR START OVER. THEY OFTEN REST ON THE GROUND BETWEEN FLIGHTS, IN ORDER TO MATE WITH THE HENS.

And you can often catch them in a flashlight beam on the ground, and I suppose if one person has a light on them, another person, coming for anothefr directin, may be able to slip a net on a long handle over them - not sure about the burlap bag technique...

I checked the regs here in MN, Snipe huhnting starts Sept 1 with 8 a day and 16 in posession, which is about what it will take to feed a family of four. But, do not hunt wooded areas, because they hang out around duck sloughs and cattail swamps - they are basically shore birds - so, wear hip boots or waders.

I've hunted them when duck hunting, but they are hard to bring down, because they fly fast and dodge a lot. It is about the same as pigeon shooting as they come out of a silo.

God bless,

T.R.