Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will the area calm down?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Spike

Default Will the area calm down?

I have only one way to enter my hunting area. The deer may see me enter the area so was wondering if after awhile will they calm down or forget I am there? I sit all day so was hoping that if I am quiet it would be ok. It is a farm so they may be used to seeing people.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

If you're sitting in your stand all day I'd say they definitely have forgotten. In fact, probably long before then.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Spike

Deer have an attention span of about 12 minutes. I have shot deer and had them scatter only to wonder back a few minutes later.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

No need to worry. While hunting on my grandpas farm, one of my favorite spots to sit is in the far corner. I either have to cut through the woods or go around and walk along the edge of cattle fields. I take the second approach, and cross deer that are bedded or traveling. Most of the cattle have been sold and one field is overgrown.

This particular corner is a great spot for does and young bucks. Unfortunately Missouri now has antler restrictions and those spikes are now off limits.

Last edited by freebirdfb; 09-20-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: skipped a word
Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Spike

Thanks makes me feel better about my spot