Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food Plot

Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Spike

Smile Food Plot

I was thinking about making a food plot for the deer in my field, and wanted to know a few answers to my questions.

1. What seed is the best to use and will show the most results?
2. What company is the most reliable?
3. Should I have more than one type of seed in my field?

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Lupi,

Thats a great question, and there is section devoted strictly to that on the site that you might want to check out if you really want to get in touch with some very knowledgeable and hardcore food plotters.

As for the best seed to use, it depends heavily on your soil type and location. Soil type for the proper growing soil PH levels, and location for estimated rainfall and growing season (temps, etc.).

As for company, I try to stay away from the Brand name seeds that hunting shows and hunting outlets sell, you can get the same mixture of seeds from your local seed supply store for half if not more than the price you are paying for the brand name seeds.

3. In our food plots we always plant more than one type of seed, but you need to decide what kind of food plot you are going to plant and create. For instance, do you want it to sustain and improve the deer quality? Offer deer recruitment? Or just have a small "kill plot" in which to harvest deer off of? Also, you need to determine when you want the food plot to be at its peak, are you wanting to hunt off of it in the early season? Or if you are wanting it as a late season attractant.

What you are planning on doing is going to take planning and consideration, as you may have just learned there are many things that need to be factored in. Consequently, growing a food plot obviously takes time, but it also takes money if you are in it for the long haul. But rest assured your hard work will one day pay off!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me; If I can't help you, I am sure I can find someone who can...
Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Spike

Thank you for the help. Very useful information.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know where you are lupini or what kind of soil you have, but I have been planting Buck Forage Oats topped with clover for about 10 or so years. I have had great results with them and as long as I can get the seed, I will continue to plant them.