Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Habit Question

Old 09-13-2011, 03:51 AM
Spike

Default Deer Habit Question

I stay out of the area (about 15 acres) I have to hunt so I dont pressure the deer. About 3 weeks back the state came through and really trimmed about 4 feet on either side of the gas line that cuts down one side of the property. Since that time I have no deer on camera. I have left a camera in the woods on a good location for about 1.5 months and pulled card after first stand sit yesterday. Not a deer on camera since about the time they trimmed all the trees and brush.

Will the deer filter back in now that their trimming about .25 mile down the line from my property?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:35 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

If what they trimmed represents a good amount of the cover, then yes this may have been a factor. Years back the county took out about that much of the trees along our road years back and the deer then stayed out of that area cause significant thick roadside cover was gone. Just the commotion and sound of machinery will not spook them out permanently - in fact that type of activity with chain saws and other machinery roughing up the earth has been known to draw deer into an area out of curiosity. If you still have the cover to hold them, try some scent attractants to bring them back. Commercial attractants or even vanilla extract.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Spike

Thanks. Their is still loads of cover!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

They are still in the area not just in front of you camera.
Try staying in your tree stand just for scouting one evening and find out where they are hanging out as a result of the cutting.
Newly cut wheat or any other source of food could change them temporarily for now.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:48 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with the others, another food source may have drawn them away if they still have plenty of cover. I did logging and land clearing for a couple years and it does draw them in. The tops of the trees are loaded with browse at certain times of the year and the educated deer know what chainsaws mean. Even the heavy equipment turfs up shoots and bulbs for them to eat. The next morning in a fresh dirt area it is loaded with deer tracks. You can see they pawing and scrapeing up wild onion bulbs and young shoots. It will not scare them away. This year the beech trees are loaded with nuts here. Could be they are in soys or alphalfa. Deer move more than most people think.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that whatever deer were in the area before the cutting are and will use that area as usual. I'd take this opportunity to go down that 4' strip scattering a bag o two of 13/13/13 to accelerate the regrowth of whatever is there. Might be worth the $$ and effort. And if a little rain comes soon, should result is some succulent browse before the winter freeze down.