Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How does a wildfire affect deer? >

How does a wildfire affect deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How does a wildfire affect deer?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Spike

Default How does a wildfire affect deer?

We have a deer lease in East Texas and just had a wildfire go through it. Just wondering how long it will take the deer to come back into the area. I know the hogs are still there, I had a camera out during the fire and there are pictures of hogs eating under my feeder with the fire 5 yards from them. I would appreciate any help
Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say immediately if there is any decent food sources left ... or as soon as any decent food returns. You guys need rain !!! Anything fires out around Seymour?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to tell. We have had some of the same happening to us. It can change their travel patterns, just like clear cutting. As stated above, a lot may depend on available food sources.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Spike

Not sure about around Seymour. We need the rain bad. We are around Jefferson and the fire has burned 45,000-50,000 acres
Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Spike

What's going on in Texas is rough. Kind of shows how much the weather affects our hunting. My favorite weather site, ScoutLook Weather just released a sweet new APP for iPhones & Androids (http://www.scoutlookweather.com/mobileApps.php) that has some unique features so you can plan for weather before you hunt.

Best of luck with your deer in East Texas let's hope it rains soon!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Spike

I don't know how much will returned immediately, but for sure within a year when the new growth starts coming up.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Spike

Thanks everyone for your comments
Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpalmer76
What's going on in Texas is rough. Kind of shows how much the weather affects our hunting. My favorite weather site, ScoutLook Weather just released a sweet new APP for iPhones & Androids (http://www.scoutlookweather.com/mobileApps.php) that has some unique features so you can plan for weather before you hunt.

Best of luck with your deer in East Texas let's hope it rains soon!
Mods: All 4 posts from this guy are SPAM. At least he did a little better "dressing up" this one.