Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hide Your Game Camera?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:03 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default Hide Your Game Camera?

Anybody have luck hiding their game camera? Like inside a shell of tree bark or maybe inside a hollowed out log? Seems like one could do this in public areas without too much traffic without getting their camera stolen. I now have a DPS unit that I could hide pretty well since only a tiny area is needed to pick up light and take the photos.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Spike

I usually place mine about 8 foot up in the tree angled downward. Always seems to work fairly well and I've not had one disappear yet. Give it a shot.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a guy make a stump from a plastic flower pot. He covered it with moss and bark. It looked very good and you would never know it wasn't real. Just use a hot glue gun and glue away.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

I set mine up 2 miles in a crrek bottom this yr. I usually don't have to worry about seeing anybody that far in.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

I usually try to brush my cameras in a little bit so they do not stand out, all you can really do is hope no one finds them and if they do they are honest and leave it alone.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

I use a lock box plus a heavy chain. I use long screws to fasten the lock box to the tree, and loop the chain around the tree and through the pad lock. I wouldn't be impossible to steal, but you would have to cut the lock using a serious chain cutter. It cost about $40 total, well worth it for my peace of mind and to protect a $150 camera.

I have to drive over an hour each way to my hunt club, so it takes a good part of a day to check the camera and/or move it to a new spot. The gas and effort and time that it takes to set the camera up are worth a lot more to me than the money the camera is worth, so the extra precaution helps my peace of mind.

I also generally set it up in out of the way places. The spot it is in right now is actually the first time it has ever been visible from a main trail. It will be interesting to see if I got any pictures of people or tresspassers.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I try to hide mine best as possible. I would like a reconyx but if someone sees it they will just come back with a chain saw and take the camera. Best thing is try to buy the best camera for the cheapest price.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some folks learn the cam placement pattern

And a lot of those folks have given thought to the subject are cam thieves.

Unfortunately, it's not just hiding the small trail cam. Many are placed within 200 yards of a road or trail. Thief merely has to locate the corn feeder, the corn on the ground, a trodden way, and sometimes a big ol elevated tree stand condo, guarding the corn feeder and the small little trail cam.

The sign the thief looks for is simple human nature. Folks don't like hauling those bags of corn, too far into the woods. Pictures or no pictures.
Next thing you'll know, hunters will be required to carry a climbing tree stand, 400 yards to a tree, and return to carry in a big bag of corn. Why it'll become downright backbreaking stevedore work, if the hunters have to do that.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:12 AM
Spike

I engraved my name address and phone number on mine in multiple places including inside the case. Figured this would reduce the resale value.