Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Interested in Hunting

Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Spike

Default Interested in Hunting

Hey everyone i'm new here, but I guess more or less i'm looking for advice. I'm 19 years old. I've never hunted in my life,its something that i've ALWAYS wanted too. Granted I was never raised too hunt, Only shot a 30-06 twice (apparently i'm a damn good shot, from what my friends told me). and I kind of have a guilty continence about killing a deer :/. No body in my family hunts, and I'm more or less the black sheep of my family(I hate the city, loves the outdoors etc...) Do I feel this way cause I've never done it before? is it something you become immune too over time? Should I start small? Am I too old too get into it? Any tips, advice, good ways too get started, would be greatly appreciated.

-TJ
Old 08-31-2011, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

1st you are never to old to get into hunting! and you may feel bad about it because you have never done it. A lot of us hunters do not feel bad about it because we do not let the game go to waste. We all respect the animals we harvest.

You could start watching hunting shows but a lot of them are just made for tv. I got a pack of dvds called Drury Outdoors Dream Season 3 and thats some of the more realistic bow/rifle hunting shows i have seen.

Your 19 so if your not gun shy i wouldn't start out on a small caliber unless you want to. Great deer calibers are .270, .30-06, ,308, .30-.30. If you are gun shy and want a gun with knock down power go with a 30-30.

You will learn a lot about hunting if you just start cruisin this forum.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:22 AM
Spike

First thing you need to do is sign up for a hunter safety class. They'll show you everything you need to know. Might be able to meet up with someone willing to mentor also. Good luck. You'll know your hooked when you drop a grand on a compound bow and think you got a good deal.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ScottTheEngineer
First thing you need to do is sign up for a hunter safety class. They'll show you everything you need to know. Might be able to meet up with someone willing to mentor also. Good luck. You'll know your hooked when you drop a grand on a compound bow and think you got a good deal.
Good Post Take the class it is informative and in most states a requirement before you can purchase a license. As far as how to learn reading is a great way to become informed. I like watching the shows on TV but those are not real world hunts. You need to find some hunting buddies go to a club and use there range talk to folks there, ask around with the people you know, some folks hunt but just do not advertise the fact.And the most important thing get out in the field and hunt!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Some good advice so far. As for feeling guilty about shooting a deer consider this, a well placed shot from a hunter is better than being hit by a semi while crossing a highway.

Most hunters do respect the animals we pursue. As an example, a few years ago we were getting ready to leave our hunting area and a friend pulled up and said that a nice 6 point just crossed the road. I went back into the woods and set up on the ridge over looking a clear spot in the trail. As the buck reached that clearing he took 2 jumps and was back into the brush. The only thing I could see was the rack raised over the brush. I didn't shoot simply because I would be taking a blind shot through the brush. Deer are a beautiful animal and I enjoy the hunt even if I don't fill a tag at the end of the day. The time spent in the woods is enough satisfaction. Meat in the freezer or a rack on the wall is simply the finishing touch, or as it is said icing on the cake.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed, it is NEVER too late to start hunting. I, like you, always had a desire to hunt, but never knew anyone to take me under their wing to show me how. Three years ago, at the age of 30, I decided that I was just going to do it, and started plugging away at that keyboard, looking for all the info I could find. Going into what I consider to be my third season of real hunting, the biggest regret I have is that I did not start much sooner in life. I literally feel like I wasted many years of my life by not hunting and fishing (just started fishing last year!). Take the initiative you have now to find out about hunting and run with it! In other words, don’t just “look into” how to start hunting, etc. Get your butt in gear and get a plan that will get you in the woods by opening day and follow it. You won’t regret it, I promise.

As Scott said, take that hunter’s safety course. Look up your course options and sign up for one ASAP! They fill up fast in my area. I disagree that it will teach you “everything” you need to know, but it is a very good start, a smart start, and probably required by law. It is also excellent advice to find some sort of a mentor that can help you with expectations (i.e. give you the low down on what hunting really is…it ain’t Elmer Fudd walking through the woods calling for the wascally wabbit), and talk you through field dressing your first deer. You can certainly learn how to field dress through reading and watching videos (and you should…over and over again), but when it comes down to it and you are standing over your first dead deer, it helps to have someone talk you through it. It would be awesome if you could meet someone on this board that would be willing to take you under their wing.

As far as a guilty conscious goes…do you eat meat? If you do, do a little research on how commercial cattle, poultry, etc. are treated, and that should cure your conscious quickly with regard to taking a deer that got to live its whole life as nature intended and met its demise quickly and humanely by a well-placed shot out of the smoking end of your firearm of choice. When I killed my first deer, I did not feel guilty. What I felt was an awesome sense of sobriety and appreciation for the life that was just given. Mix that with a feeling of excitement and the adrenaline that courses through your veins as soon as you see that deer, and it’s just an indescribable feeling. That sense of sobriety and appreciation should not occur only on the first deer, but every deer you take. If you start to lose that, it’s time to take a step back and ask yourself why.

One of the most satisfying things for me is when we dine on that fine animal, because I know that from the kill to the table, that deer has been with me the entire time, and is a product of my hand. A lot of hunters kill, field dress and just dump the carcass off at the butcher. If that works for them, that’s fine. But, for me, I need to do it all for every deer I kill. Clean it, skin it, quarter it, butcher it, package it. That is all a part of the experience for me (not just the kill!), and makes it that much more satisfying.

What is your hunting budget…the MAX you want to spend on all hunting gear this season (including gun and ammo)? When do your seasons start, and what firearms are permitted? Do you know where you’ll hunt and what the deer population is like there? Do you have a way to regularly practice your marksmanship skills?

I don’t say this to intimidate you, but if you want to get in the woods this season, you have got your work cut out for you, so get on it! Ask all the questions you want here…you’ll find plenty of help!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

As others stated, never too old,
Have a lifetime of hunting ahead of you, enjoy it
First, get those certs, get as many certs as you can, don't want to be. Looking for them down the road say you decide to take up bow hunting. Also the classes are full of information.
You have an advantage many of us didn't have, that's online info.
Check your regs and look up your state lands to find were you can hunt.
While your waiting for classes and seasons to start, get out there and scout.
Don't need a license to scout and or hunt with a camera.
As for your conscious, that's a good thing will help you be an ethical hunter.
People hunt for different reasons.
You should know why you hunt and te benefits of your hunting.
Food for one,
Others hunt to help protect crops/livestock.
Also for wildlife management.
We aren't giving wildlife any more land, have to manage what we have.
In ny 30% of the deer will die each year, from starvation, disease, accidents, etc.
All hunting does is tap into that 30% so more end up on the table. And less as roadkill.
Enjoy your hunts, and be proud of what your getting into

Last edited by Terasec; 08-31-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

If you can, find some older more mature person willing to help you along with this - this can put you on the fast track in a hurry. And take advantage of the vast amounts of info out there, although you can easily get overwhelmed at the thousands of dollars worth of gear pitched at you - this is where the older mentor can help a lot. And a hunters safety course would be a good idea too if you plan to gun hunt.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

All great advise !

Hunter safety course is first.

Also go to your local shooting centers & gun clubs; I think you'll find a lot of the guys & gales are also hunters.

BTW - The kill is only a part of the rewards that come from becoming an experienced hunter.

Have some fun along the way !!!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Spike

Wow didn't think i'd get this man surprises haha, I actually did take hunters safety and still have my card, that was about 2 years ago though so i'm not sure if you have too renew them though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.