Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Interested in Hunting

Old 08-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't have to renew hunter safety course. Find someone that can help you out a little and go from there. Being a good shot while shooting at a target is one thing...a critter being out there makes things a little different. Gives you just about the best rush there is to have! And, as others have said, when you are putting to use the game that you take there is absolutely no reason to feel bad about the animals you may kill. Anyone that simply kills for the sport and lets the meat go to waste should be ashamed of it...not enough are, however.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Something that I forgot to mention this morning. Call your local Bass Pro and Cabela's. They should be starting some educational seminars over hunting. They would be able to tell you when they are and sign you up to ensure that you have a seat. Sometimes these classes fill up quickly.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Spike

Don't worry about just starting now. I'm in the same boat as you. I just got my hunter's education certificate a few weeks ago and I've been shooting my bow almost every day. If you choose the bowhunting route, I recommend shooting whenever you can. Pick a few spots around you that are public hunting land, learn about their landscape and regulations, and apply for tags, licenses, other required elements. Use this site. I've learned so much, and if you ask questions, they will most likely be answered. Also, once season starts, get out as much as you can. That's what I plan on doing, but if you choose to hunt with a firearm, your season may be shorter. Let's hope that both of us enjoy our first season.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Spike

This has got to be the best post I've read on this forum so far. All great advice given. I'm 42 and started hunting in '99. Took my first deer that season with my 870 Express. A beautiful 8pt. and have been ate up with it ever since. There is nothing like sitting in a stand and watching mother nature waking up. It's really something to see. Whether I harvest an animal or not it's just great to be outdoors and enjoying life. Go for it, you'll know if it's not for you, what have you got to loose?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Most, if not all states, the hunter safety thing is a one-time certification, but check local law of course. I noted in the earlier posts much reference to rifles, and rifles are preferrable, but also check local law to make sure you are not limited to shotguns. I hunt Illinois, and the whole state is shotgun only (or muzzleloader, hand gun, bow, but no rifle).
As for feeling guilty, someone mentioned comparing it to commercial agriculture, and that's a valid point. Someone else mentioned passing on an unethical shot, and that a good point too. A couple years ago, I had a doe in my scope, but the only shot I had was on the hind quarter. They can run forever with such a wound. I passed. I've shot 3deer in the last 2 years, 2 died in place, one ran about 150 yard (that was a bow kill). I don't feel guilt, but I do feel a little conflicted-appreciative-spiritual after I harvest an animal. In the end, I think, it is just what happens in nature--maybe what's supposed to happen.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Spike

Wow thank you everyone for posting on this it's much appreciated. not sure if I'll get too start this season(currently laid off) But I can start saving up some $$$ for gear and a gun I was thinking of getting a Savage 111 FCXP .30-06 click me! Too start out with would yall recomend something like that or just save for something really nice like a remmington 700,(I'm looking for a .30-06)
Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends. Can you use a rifle in all areas you will wish to hunt? If so, a rifle may be the way to go. If you want to hunt in areas that are shotgun only, then you might want to get a slug gun or muzzleloader (the muzzleloading forum on this site is great!).

With regard to Savage vs Rem 700, here is a good thread to read: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329317

You don't have to save for a really nice gun. In fact, don't be afraid to buy used (but DO take an experienced person with you to check out the gun to make sure its OK). Do your research and narrow your choices down to a few guns, then go to a gun store (or several if you have to), and make your decision based on the gun that feels best to you (I'm assuming by your research you'll have eliminated crap guns). Unless you're regularly hunting deer at over 150 yards away, 1 MOA vs 3 MOA isn't that big a deal, IMO. Don't get me wrong...an accurate gun is important, BUT most guns shoot better than you're able to shoot them. I think that a comfortable, more natural feel is more important in the field than sub MOA accuracy. JMHO. BTW, I think the TC Venture is a pretty good deal for a starter gun.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Spike

My thing is that I want too have a good reliable gun that I can pass down too my kids(when I have them) one day and something that is aquality product and worth spending the extra $$$ on if you get what I'm saying. Even if I end up not liking hunting I still love guns, and I love shooting them.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Spike

The best advice I can give is to find someone who hunts. If you know its something you wanna try, going with someone and watching first hand is a great way to learn. Books & mags are great but to really get a feel of what all goes into it you have to get in the woods. Even if ya don't have a gun/bow just sitting in the woods with someone who knows how to hunt will be so beneficial in your education of the sport and I guarantee will light the fire. Lol I hope ya get the chance this season cause its showtime!

Last edited by Jimmyt; 09-01-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

If you were in VA I'd take you with me.

The hard truth about hunting is that if you are a complete newbie you will probably need someone to show you the ropes. To get into an elevated tree stand in a good location simply takes a lot of knowledge and a fair amount of scouting, not to mention buying a weapon and getting it sighted in and becoming confident and proficient. Lots of people that grew up hunting may say it isn't that complicated, but that is because they have a lot of knowledge which they take for granted.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.