Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Idea for SCENT ELIMINATOR

Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Idea for SCENT ELIMINATOR

After doing reserch and product testing on odor control products fo the hunting induestry since about 1992, and being the person who started the very successful campaign to get the the truth out about Scent Lok's inability to work as advertised, I can tell you that there is work being done on a whole new concept in odor elimination for hunters, but I'm not sure when it will be available to hunters.

In the meantime, probably the best thing you can use is use cyclodextrene, which is the active ingredient in Febreze. It is a natural occuring sugar compund, configured in the shape of a cone. One side of the chemical is hydrophobic (doesn't like water, while the other side is hydrophylic (attracts water).

Unlike activated carbon, cyclodextrene actually attracts odors, and holds them in until you wash the fabric in cold water, when it lets go of those scents. YOu woudl have to use completely unscented Febreze, which many not be available, or just cyclodextrine, possibly from a hospital supply.

It may only work for a day, but it is actually the best thing out there right now for controlling unnatural odros on hunters. It has been used for years by the medical industry to control the odors from wounds (which should tell you something).

One website said this about wound control.

"Charcoal activity, on the other hand, decreases in the presence of wound exudates because serum proteins in the exudates deactivate in the presence of wound exudates. Additionally, cyclodextrins intrinsically have a longer active time of odor-absorbing function by nature of their material."

To use it - completely douse at least your innermost and outermost layers with the spray, let dry, and you are ready to go.

T.R.

Last edited by trmichels; 08-31-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds logical, I might have to give it a try.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like spam to me. Wash up with odorless soap before you go hunting and try and keep scent to a minimum playing the wind. That's my tip to you all. Use Scent Lok or this new mumbo jumbo however you want but in the end, a deer will smell you, it's all about how well they do. Like you are there or were once there. And even then it might not matter. Wash up and keep the scent to a minimum, playing the wind, and go hunt!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by trmichels
After field testing carbon suits for over 5 years, with about 150 days a year in the woods, I can tell you that they do work. I won't hunt without some kind of odor eliminating suit. I'm currently using Contain odor eliminating clothing. It's half the price of the other suits.
I use Wildlife Research Center scents. I actually came up with the idea for their elk and mule deer scents. Scents can work, provided they are some-what fresh, and you take precautions not to contaminate the area with un-natural scents; like human odor, food, cigarettes, alcohol, gas, oil, etc.
Scents bought this year will be no good next year.

If you have more questions on deer, elk, turkey, ducks or geese post a new topic addresed to T.R. here, or e-mail me.

Look for my up-coming articles in the e magazine.

T.R. Michels, writer, speaker
Trinity Mountain Outdoors

T.R. Michels

like when you said this?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Amen. Do what works for you. If you like Scent Lok, go for it. If you like copper, which is the new rage, do it. They all HELP. They don't eliminate entirely. Again, for my money, baking soda in the washing machine for my clothes and odorless soap and deodorant for my body plus cheap plastic ziplock bags for my clothes and an open box of baking soda in my hunting closet are all that I need. Four letters - W-I-N-D.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Why would my saying that Febreze workd to eliminate odors, when I am in no way associated with them, be Spam??? I have absolutely nothing to gain by saying this. I'm more than a little confused as to how it is spam.

You don't have to belive me about cyclodextrin, or cyclodextrene, do an internet search yourself, using the term "cyclocdextren for odor control".

As to my previous belief in Scent Lok (which is a well known fact), after several years of use, on deer I had been researching for about 5 years, I began to realize that it did nto make much difference what I wore, the deer did not react to smellng me. The reason why was because I spent so much time on the property - that they became accustomed to my smell, or "familiarized" as I call it.

The kicker was when I noticed that when I came home sweating, I was covered with black charcoal dust. I called Greg Sesselman, owner of Scent Lok, and asked him what was up. He said it was just "excess carbon" that came loose from the fabric. He then asked me how many days a year I was in the woods. When I said 120-160, he told me that I would probably need about three suits per year, because the suits would "wear out". That is when I became suspicious.

Then one day, when I just waked onto the hayfield, to get up on a hill and look over the propery, I saw a doe downwind of me at about 35 yards. She did see me, because she stopped and stared at me. But, she did not snort, stamp her foot, make as if feeding and then suddenly jerk her head up (to startle me into moving) or run off. She just stood there for a while, then walked off. I the next week I had 2-3 more deer do the same thing, and none of the times was I wearing a Scent Lok suit, nor had I used any hunter sprays or soap or detergent.

I came to the realization that my original asessment and conclusion about the effectiveness of Scent Lok was wrong. So I began contacting chemsts at 3M here in St, Paul. MN, and at the U of MN. Then I read up on activated carbon on as many websites as I could find (dozens). You'll find much of my findings on activated carbon on the "Scent Lok Saga" pages of my website.

I came to the conclusion that activated carbon could not work to eliminate human odors as advertised by scnet Lok, nor could it be re-activaated in a household dryer as stated on their website. I, and everyone else who purchsed a suit, had been lied to, or "defrauded" as the MN Federal Court System determined in the court trail against Scent Lok.

I was wrong. It probably was not the first time, but hopefully will be the last time. But, I admitted it, and made a point of rectifying whatever part I was responsible for in duping hunters out of their hard earned money, by startng the whole campaign against Scent Lok on another hunting forum, and keeping it going, until some hunters decided to start a Class Action Lawsuit agaisnt Scent Lok, which they eventually won.

So - as I said, you do not have to believe me, do your own internet research on the effeciveness of cyclodextrine on reducing odors. Here are a few websites to check out, none of which belong to Proctor and Gamble, the manufacturers of Febreze. If some other company offers cyclodextrene as an odor reducing product on fabric, you can use it too.

This comes from one of those sites.

Apparels with Cyclodextrin finish:

Cyclodextrin is produced from starch through enzymatic conversion. It posses a cylindrical structure which acts like a host and can absorb guest molecules inside the structure and release them later on. This hydrophobic cavity present in cyclodextrin molecules can react as odor impeding property in textiles. The hydrophobic cavities are capable to absorb and store sweat and odor from the environment. Once their storage capacity is finished, they will not work any longer. Their capacity can be renewed through washing the garment. Yet another possibility of cyclodextrin finishing on garments is to fill the substance with perfume through a spray or through a softener in laundry. When the apparel is worn, the perfume is released from the substance blocking the body odor.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/v3vq972882jv4146/
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5429628.html
http://www.wacker.com/cms/media/publications/downloads/6223_EN.pdf
http://www.matmanmag.com/matmanmag_app/jsp/articledisplay.jsp?dcrpath=MATMANMAG/PubsNewsArticleGen/data/02FEB2007/0702MMH_FEA_PatCare&domain=MATMANMAG

God bless,

T.R.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think its brilliant that you come in and edit your op after i show an old post by you. it matches your other post now..nice job.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let me splain again, if your gramma was still around and you told here clothes could hold stink until you washed them she'd probably wonder what happened to your common sense. ALL CLOTHES ABSORB STINK AND ALL CLOTHES GIVE STINK UP WHEN YOU WASH THEM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

I did not edit anything that related to anything you implied. I cna't remember exacly, but I think all I did was correct my typos and spelling erors. So, you are off base.

You know, on most forums, and in most conversations, it is common decency not to say anything, if you can't say somethign nice.

This has become one of the rudest talk forums on the internet. It does not speak well for all of the really nice people here. thos I hvde come to be friend wth after about 10 years.

I'll bet you guys would get really upset if someone came in and responded like this - every chance they got. Not exactly Christian behavior.

God bless,

T.R.

Last edited by trmichels; 08-30-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Apparently there is no such thing as unscented Febreze.

http://www.amazon.com/Febreze-Fabric...owViewpoints=1

"It was advertised as unscented. However, the bottle says fresh clean scent, and "perfume" is listed in the ingredients. The scent is still just as powerful as regular store bought Febreze. Also note, as I found out after purchasing this, Febreze's FAQ states that they do not offer an unscented fabric refresher."

FAQ at the Febreze site: http://homemadesimple.custhelp.com/a...19LCJjIjoyfQ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.