Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Patterns

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Patterns

Deleted Post

Last edited by bmgillum; 01-01-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Deleted Post
Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

It could be their food pattern changed.
They just went on to another food source.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think jrbsr nailed it. We had the same thing happen with a couple of awesome Bucks right after the corn was cut and the beans where harvested in a friend of mines area. Once the food and cover were taken away they seemed to move on into the heavier cover areas. I am curious to see if some Bucks I'm getting on my cams stay in the area where I'm at because there are no crops within several miles of where I'm seeing them at present.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Bucks are like male humans. They live for two main reasons.

Food is the first one. They will go to the best restaurant or food source available just as you would. If a hot new place opens up near you and it has a better tasting burger, you'll go there rather than eating at your regular spot. They are always going to find the best/freshest food source.

The last one being sex. When it's on it's on and that's all they think about. Just as hopefully you all are.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say changing food paterns.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Spike

I agree with the food source as all my properties have done this very same thing over the last 2 weeks. While out scouting a newly aquired piece of property I noticed those pretty little acorns we all love so much on the ground. After checking other cams the following week, all the other cameras I have on properties with acorn hollows my feeders look like piles of gold around them with the corn starting to build up.

Turned the throw time back on the feeders to only a few seconds to keep the small amount of traffic still used to the feeder and food source.

My suggestion is find the acorns, you'll find your deer.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

His question was about the velvet coming off having an effect, good question. Never thought of it, something to watch.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with the food source causing it. Before the rut I often see bucks in large groups on top of a mountain I hunt. There are large groves of white oaks up their and springs.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

I have not noticed velvet shedding having any effect on deer patterns. I have been glassing deer and notice one day they are hard antlered... However, right at about the end of August, early September there are many changes in food sources such as acorns starting to drop and beans turning yellow and bitter... As others have said, I think your issue is with food.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Spike

I'd still think it' be a bit early for their food patterns to change already wouldn't it? Have the farmers in your area already started harvesting crops? Acorns are just starting to drop around here..so I guess it is becoming about that time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.