Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand location HELP

Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Spike

Default Stand location HELP

I hunt in middle/north GA, need a little advice on where to put some stands. I will post two pictures one in spring/summer and one in fall/winter. You will be able to see where cover and oak trees are. Land is outlined in red, yellow dot is where i shot my first deer "8 point" last year with a bow. Last year there was alot of scrapes in that area so i just put up a loc on stand there today. The land is 70 acres with 30 acre field that was planted 4 to 5 years ago in wheat so it was very thin, but recently has been cut. From the field to creek its about a 50 degree angle down. 40 acres in woods but half the property is boarderd with neighborhooods and houses all around the property. This is my second year hunting, but i started in middle oct last year. GA bow season starts sept 10th. Any suggestions would be great.
Attached Thumbnails Stand location HELP-skips-land.jpg   Stand location HELP-skips-land-fall.jpg  

Last edited by mastr001; 08-22-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Spike

better picture
Attached Thumbnails Stand location HELP-img_4527.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Until other people chime in I'll put in my 2 cents from what I can see. Strictly looking at funnels and travel corridors two stuck out to me, sign, oaks aside.

I put the red circle on the right because it is an inside corner. Deer trying to run around the field (and not through it) cut as close to that corner as they can since they don't want to arc way around the corner. This creates a funnel for all deer.

The other red circle (on the left) is where the field starts to get close to the residential area creating another funnel in the woods, so when deer are forced to travel through there you may get a shot if the distance isn't too far. You would have to put yourself somewhere around the middle where you can see about 50 yds on both sides.
Attached Thumbnails Stand location HELP-img_4527.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Is it a live creek year round?
Any fences?
Prevailing winds?

An image with no foliage would be better, and larger.
IDK if you're resizing the image or what, but you should be able to post a larger image.

Last edited by onion721; 08-23-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Vinnyhc , We must think alike . Before reading your post that's exactly where I choose to put them. I also thought about one near the water.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

The area you shot your deer last year is the prime spot. It looks to be a thin spot in the timber, maybe grassy, with smaller saplings. The deer will be in there rubbing the saplings and bedding in the grass. The right spot that Vinny suggested is also a good spot. If they are coming out to the field, that is where they will most likely be doing so. Although deer will get used to humans and their pets, to some extent, they will still stay as far away as possible most times.