Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

funnel?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Spike

Default funnel?

i have a stand inbetween 3 funnels that come to gether. they are goin from bed to a foodplot and a feeder. my question is would it be ok for me to have corn and a camera by my stand to where i can make the shot? or will this change their patterns? thanks jd
Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion would be to put your camera on the food plot and disturb the area around your stand as little as possible. You want them to have no idea you're in the area.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the deer are steadily using the trails to-from the feeding area and bedding area, I'd fore go any additional disturbance. Maybe I'd hang a trail camera to check the amount of and timing of the deers' movement, but that'd be about it. And I would not walk in there from any other directions than facing as dead into the wind as it is practical.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

U do not want a cam and bait by your stand! Deer will then pattern you and avoid the times ur in stand. Put it out 300 yds u will be better off. And what kind of funnels is it cover or terrain related?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Spike

Default d

dry bayous inbetween pine trees
Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Spike

Default w

what im looking for is somthing to bring them into bow range but i dont want to call or have a decoy their; what if i only put corn out when i hunted it?
thanks jd
Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Johnydeer
what im looking for is somthing to bring them into bow range but i dont want to call or have a decoy their; what if i only put corn out when i hunted it?
thanks jd
Ok sounds like u have a terrain related funnel with the deer using the dry bayous for travel. Why are u afraid to call? And why do you think food is the only tool to bring deer into effective bow range? Have u thought of using a scent drag trailing it from the bayou to ur stand? Or if possible try a blind or moving ur stand closer? Calling is very effective year rou.d if u use the right calls. Early season fawn calls work great for doe. Also tickling a pair or antlers together lightly work great for early season bucks. Use curiosity scents and calls and this will increase odds. Hope this helps bubba!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

I keep a trail camera right near the tree I hunt, I go down to it once a week and swap out the sd card. About 90 pictures on it each time right now. I only dump about 2 gallons of scattered corn infront of it, so it takes pictures. Last year I did this so routinely that they got a little used to it I believe... When I hunt ( I only bow hunt) I drop some corn about 20 yrds out from my tree to make them stop and give me time to get a perfect shot. I dont believe I bothered anything. However my walk in/out is short maybe 110 yards in and out. I dont touch anything. And some times spray my shoes with cover scent. A little corn to help your shot wont hurt anything. Same as if you find a $5 in the street... like your not going to stop and pick it up.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If You already have a feeder set up I wouldn't change their patterns by your stand...stay back from the feeder and keep on the funnel area and let them travel past You naturally.If there was anything to change or add it would be to put out a mineral or salt lick around the feeder...thats where I would put up a trail camera too...the Deer already know Your there from time to time any ways.Try to stay as scent-free as possible when Hunting and wearing rubber boots will help in hiding your scent where You walk also.Good Luck Hunting and let us know how things work out.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TURKEY FAN
Ok sounds like u have a terrain related funnel with the deer using the dry bayous for travel. Why are u afraid to call? And why do you think food is the only tool to bring deer into effective bow range? Have u thought of using a scent drag trailing it from the bayou to ur stand? Or if possible try a blind or moving ur stand closer? Calling is very effective year rou.d if u use the right calls. Early season fawn calls work great for doe. Also tickling a pair or antlers together lightly work great for early season bucks. Use curiosity scents and calls and this will increase odds. Hope this helps bubba!
I have always had great results calling. A lot of the other hunters I know don't use calls or only use them during the rut. I don't understand this... There's nothing that gets the adrenaline going like having a buck come crashing through the woods toward your stand after hitting a grunt tube a couple of times. Also, Ive heard people say only grunt for them during / around the rut. I've had deer respond to a grunt tube from pre-rut till the end of season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.