Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Distance judgement

Old 07-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Spike

Default Distance judgement

Hey guys, I will eventually get a laser rangefinder,but for now, I'd like to use my resources and/or senses. Trying to get off chreap on it this year. I was just wondering what you recommend doing for a rather accurate range judgement. Thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just practice...As you walk look at an object ahead and guess the yardage, then pace it off...At the stand site, mark trees, use one slash or orange tape for 10 yards, 2 for 20, etc...When you practice, move around, change where you shoot and don't pace it off...Finally, we used to use judo points and walk through the woods and shoot at objects or even squirrel and rabbit hunt with our bows...After awhile you'll realize there is really no need for a bow finder, especially with today's bows...
Old 08-01-2011, 05:16 AM
Spike

Not sure if this helps.

When I installed my tree stand last week-end, I also took with me a 75ft electric extension cord. Once I was done installing the stand, I tied the cord to my stand and essentially went as far as I could with the 75ft cord in all possible shoot directions and marked the sports with small rocks/branches. (nothing too obvious ...) That way, when I see a deer ill have a visual point of reference as to the distance. How is that for "getting off on the cheap"?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

You could try something like this, http://www.golfoutletsusa.com/forgan...6-9E8FD936C1B1
Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

measure out and mark land features for reference until you get a range finder
Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

So what is a good basic rangefinder that does not break the bank? I am interested in getting one but do not like the prices I am seeing on them.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I thought there was a rule

against using anything not electronic, especially by newbies. Kidding, a little.

The problem is practicing, and taking the time to practice. It isn't learned in a day.

Reminds me to eyeball practice distance, this month, while I go on one of my many summer hikes. But for some, I think there is a ban on off season exercise, too. Those one place hunting stands seem to be in vogue.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure how to best express this but here's a try. My question is have you been struggling with clean kills that have been the result of misjudging distance? If not, may be a rangefinder is not necessary. Here's my logic ....

I bought a range finder 3 years ago. A great one. Spent a bunch of $$$. Had to have one. Everybody else did. However, it stays in my pack more than it does out. And I have been surprised that I have found it of such little value. But hey, I went over 35 years hunting without ever even contemplating a ranging device. So ... duh !!

I am not claiming to be any good at judging distances. Certainly no better than any experienced hunter is. But apparently I had been getting by OK.

I thought I'd use the range finder extensively archery hunting. And that is where it has been used most, but it is very seldom that I have found it practical to take the time to range or wise to move as much as it requires to range ... before the shot needed to be made. So .... I guess I wasted my $$$, except for those rare times when I need to know "Is it 300 or 375?"
Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

For years I never did have a range finder...ended up missing several Deer because I'm lousy at judging distances! I had a friend help me put up my ladder stand one year and he marked of several distances for me with his range finder and it helped me later on when I continued Bow Hunting.I finally broke down and bought me a range finder about 2 years ago,so what I do when I'm up in one of my many ladder stands is to range several different distances before any Deer come in so I'm ready in case one shows up un-expectedly.I waited til I caught a nice one on sale at the local Bass Pro Shop..ended up with a nice RX-600 Leupold for around $180.00 when they are usually around $200.00 plus tax!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 08-03-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Honestly you're just wasting time NOT getting a laser rangefinder (or at least borrowing one from someone who has an extra you can borrow or "rent" for the year). The reason I say that is they are THE greatest learning tool you can have for learning how to estimate range. With only a few weeks of frequent use you'll be surprised how good you can get at estimating different objects at range. And I mean just that, don't worry about ranging animals, instead range rocks, fenceposts, unique trees, old stands, barns etc... ANYTHING that jumps out at you and is fairly easy to get a sense of scale with by looking at. (Trying to get a sense of scale and judging range while lying down or in very steep terrain is super tough.)

After awhile you'll be able to get pretty close (within 50 or so yds) all the way to distances as far as 400yds in open terrain. After that it gets awfully difficult unless you have some point of reference like a fence or powerline with known distances between sections/posts.

Good luck,
HL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.