Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newb questions

Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

More of the same from an old dude that has been hunting white tails since '62. Lots of great and straight advice already given. My advice ain't gonna ad much.

First off being a military guy, you are familiar with the 308 Win. This is a heck of a deer killing round. It is my number one choice and I highly recommend it. Of course there are dozens of other very good rounds for killing deer out there, the 243 Win. and 270 Win. are among them.

I'd also add don't get caught up in the hype of the 1000's of hunting product ads. There are no magic bulllets, or always work scent potions, or calls that bring only giant buicks and from 100's of yards away, or foof plot seeds that create 200+ racks, or cammo patterns that can hide an elephant in pine tree, or a broad head that create 2" holes in 6" concrete block, or a poket size light that can second as light house becon, or binos that can pick out a wart on a gnat's at 400 yards, etc. Nothing is going to make you into a D. Boone, Jr. other than experience. Keep your gear simple and of high quality, learn how to move around in the woods quietly and read sign, stay down wind and you are more or less good to go.

As for where to hunt ? I know nothing about Ga. public land hunting. I tried Al. public land hunting back in the mid 1970's but opted out after 5 shots sang their song just over my head on Coosa Co. GMA. Where they came from, to this day I have no clue.

I'd suggest you network with some buddies and see if you cannot come up with a good hunting club to join. A well run club that has a lease on adequate acreage of good deer habitat is not a bad way to go. May be expensive, but ...

As for field dressing .... you'll learn. It's just guts and blood ! Just take your time. Besides, field dressing is sort of self instructing ... slit open a stomach full of half digested acorns, and you'll not to do that again !!

Welcome to the looney house of deer hunting and good luck !
Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome, Hunting is an awsome sport, just getting out side early in the morning makes it worth it, let alone if you get to see or harvest somthing. I second half baked approach, try out some archery, its pretty affordable, and it can become a off season hobby. If you dont have tons of land to shoot a gun, then a bow is where its at. Practice in the back yard in your spare time, you make no noise (no mad neighbors). Youll have a longer hunting season. And hunting smaller plots is possible if your in search of hunting land, cause arrows dont fly miles (at least mine dont). Good luck!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

I started hunting a few years ago at 44...its lots of fun and a great father/son activity.

I went with a 30-06 because it seemed to me to be the most popular caliber. I am not recoil sensitive, and really enjoy feeling it unload.

As far as public land, there is good hunting on most public land, the key is to do some scouting and set up where others seldom go (if you get 1/2 mile form the nearest parking lot, you will most likely be alone. I also like to be up in a tree (using a climber) on opening day of rifle season on public land, as I feel safer up there:-)

Gutting is pretty easy...the only tricky part is freeing up the butt hole so you can get the inards out. Skinning also is not to hard, it just takes a little practice and a nice sharp knife.