Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

keeping coons out of feeders

Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default keeping coons out of feeders

Any good ideas of keeping coons out of feeders? They have emptied mine in a two week period and somehow undid the wing nut that holds the timer and battery cover on. Thought of getting a varmint guard but figured they could still get there paws through and spin the flinger. Never had this much of a problem last year although they where still there. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

i've had the same problem everywhere we have feeders. Hanging the feeder from a tall limb using a cable has worked for me.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

well mine is a tripod feeder
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

If you can't hang the feeder from a long cable, mix in some lead in with the feed, one slug at a time. Or opt for many smaller portions in a magnum shotgun load. Seriously, there is not much else that will stop a coon once they find a free lunch.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know what you can do now, but when the season rolls around, coons are really easy to trap.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

thought id share what i just read. Put three inch pvc over the legs holding it above the groun with a screw in the leg and the raccoons can fit there hands around it and it moves so they cant climb it. Thank ill give this a try has to help
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

When the feeder was activating in the evening, I had alot of coons. I stopped for a while (no reason to feed this time of year anyway) and restarted running it only in the a.m. It seemed to tremendously reduce the coon times.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

kill the pests
Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

well mine is only on one feeding and thats at 6 am and I get coons at all hours of the day, have pics at noon with coons attacking it
Attached Thumbnails keeping coons out of feeders-prms0118.jpg   keeping coons out of feeders-prms0144.jpg  

Last edited by kyslayer; 07-18-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the big square varmit cage guard. I know Academy used to sell them. I assume they still do. If it's taking them two weeks to clean your feeder out, you don't have that many coons. It should only take them a week or less. You need some kind of varmit guard. The one I mentioned above works very well. Try putting out a live box trap. A neighbor of mine put a couple out around feeders last season and caught 14. Some people put grease on the legs of the tripod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.