Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Make your own rules!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Make your own rules!

Hey after reading a recent post, I wanted to get an opinion or give everyone a chance to share what they feel are important practices when it comes to a whitetail hunting camp.

So here's the "made-up" scenario....say I am opening a 500 acre deer camp for 10 members, and all of you are one of these members. What "rules" do you see fit, or not see fit for the whitetail camp. And I mean all rules...it could be bag limits, size limits, hunting rights, responsibilities, etc. And if you're already apart of a deer camp what rules do you have in place, if any, that are important to make the camp as fun and successful as possible? And how do you regulate hunting locations? I really am not in this position, I just am curious how everyone would handle it.

Last edited by StealthHtr22; 07-12-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Clarifying point of the post...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Let me start...random draw at the beginning of every season for priority seat. (Priority to pick location to hunt). Draw all member's names in order of priority, and no single hunter can get priority in consecutive seasons.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default ????

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22
Let me start...random draw at the beginning of every season for priority seat. (Priority to pick location to hunt). Draw all member's names in order of priority, and no single hunter can get priority in consecutive seasons.
Are you drawing for a priority seat for the season? Or are all the names thrown back into the hat and re-drawn prior to every hunt?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alex G.
Are you drawing for a priority seat for the season? Or are all the names thrown back into the hat and re-drawn prior to every hunt?
Good point...the difficulty in implementing this rule would be when the members would be hunting. I initially thought the season, but those who get final priority may not see the point being a member if they get the leftovers. With that said members would have to sign in when they hunt to use their "priority" for that hunt. You would almost need to plan it out with a calender throughout the whole season on who gets priority.

I've never been apart of a "hunting camp" so I am curious to know how situations like this are handled.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't like rules...It would also be hard for me to tell you what to do because I bet bucks in your area will run larger than bucks in NC...Kill a 125-130 class buck in NC and you have a great deer...

We also farm, is you land currently being farmed??? I ask simply because typically farmers want to keep the doe population in check...Is this area overpopulated??? If so, you might need to spend several years taking does only and letting bucks walk...

Do you believe once a spike always a spike??? Will other hunters be allowed to take a "management" buck...My brother believes in "management" bucks, any buck he can manage to take...

We take 40-50 deer a year off three farms of about 850 acres...At least 80% taken are does...Years ago, we all would take 2-3 bucks and 1-2 does...Now we take far more does...We see less deer but have bigger bucks and more chasing during the daylight hours...

So, if you have land that needs to get the doe population under control for the first couple of years I'd go with each member takes 3-4 does and 1 buck a year...That buck has to have antlers past the ears (18 inches) and at least 4 points on each side...

Personally, I'd even let that buck walk, as does don't grow antlers and they eat better than bucks...Good luck...
Old 07-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the response nchawkeye. Just to be clear, I am not in this actual scenario, it was more of a "what if" question. Regardless you make some very strong points.

What I think is interesting, when hunters talk about land management, many are quick to talk about buck size, which is by far very important and crucial to maximizing your success in harvesting larger deer. But I think it all starts with herd size per acreage, then factor in surrounding hunting pressure and finally buck size.

So with that said, I totally agree with your stance on controlling the population and taking does first.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most hunters haven't farmed...I tell them, take 20 cows and put them on 10 acres and you'll have 20 skinny cows...Drop down to 5 cows and they'll be healthy...

Most can start to understand when you make it that simple...Less deer mean the ones there get the best nutrition...

We use to see 40-50 deer an evening in one field, this was back in the early 80s...My brothers and I got busy and also got help from friends, nephews, nieces, etc...It took about 10 years to get things in check...We still see 6-10 deer an evening but the biggest change has been nicer bucks and more chasing during daylight hours...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

If/when I have my own spread,

10 point minimum, with management style bucks being exceptions.
Mature monster 8/9pts could be taken of course, but a 2.5yo 140" 8pt wouldn't be allowed.
3.5yo+ bucks
Inside spread past tips of ears
No button bucks
Probably try to take a doe for every buck taken

Probably aside from all those rules, I'd say 2.5yo and less bucks would be excluded, a 3.5yo+ buck around here is gonna be a big boy, probably at least a 10pt 150" buck, and that's a pretty awesome minimum I think.

Ideally after some time the minimum would increase, or at least I'd be trying to take the largest bucks around not settling for avg bucks in the area.

Last edited by salukipv1; 07-12-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Spike

I personally would want some sort of earn a buck,depending on the year and deer population on the farm.Thats all the farther I would go with rules!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in a "deer camp". We have 3150 acres with 13 members. Our rules are very simple.

Equal club fee.
Limited to one guest per hunt.
Stay legal.
Try to take 5 does each.
Take only good bucks (but we are not a "trophy club). Most folks pass all but nice 4x4's and up.
Use the land map to post where you are.
Kids under 16 have to have an adult with them.
Share the work.
Keep the camp house, walk-in-cooler and yard clean.
We have a set of "close up the camp" do's.
No females allowed - which I do not agree with. But that came about because of a really bad deal.
Last folks leaving , haul off the garbage - and lock up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.