Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: How effective is using a mobile stand?
Very effective
43.75%
Effective
31.25%
Neutral
25.00%
Not very effective
0%
Completely ineffective
0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Mobile deer stand

Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Spike

Default Mobile deer stand

I've been wanting to build one of these for several years. I think it will be a great way to hunt the wind in a variety of locations. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Mobile deer stand-dscf0087.jpg   Mobile deer stand-dscf0099.jpg   Mobile deer stand-dscf0105.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

I marked it as Effective, as it is basically just a box blind that is easy to move. I see several faults to your thinking. In thinking that you can hunt the wind by moving it to suit the wind that is blowing, you would have to move it on short notice. In doing this, you would make quite a bit of noise getting it to where you need it. You are moving something into the deers territory, that they are not used to. Moving it to a location and leaving it set for a period of time for the deer to get used to it is a different matter. I have seen boxes, towers, and tripods on wheels before and they are great, in that they are easier to get them where you need them. I believe though, that unless you can hide it in the brush or brush it in, it will need to set there for a while for the deer to get used to the new furnishings. Only with pop-up blinds that were well brushed in, have I had instant success with having the deer not notice it so readily. As with any type of stand or blind, it can only be hunted so many times in succession before the deer pattern you and you success rate begins to drop.(during rut is the only exception to this rule).
Old 07-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Spike

Default Thanks Dave

Thanks for the comments Dave. I agree with deer getting use to a stand, but as you alluded to, that is sometimes the problem. I will be using this stand for mainly long range hunting on scendaros or open crossing areas in mesquite country. It is a little different then hunting the draws of Missouri which I've done as well. Hopefully it will work out. One thing is for sure, it will save me some money. I can hunt a variety of spots without having to build several stands.

Ps - Here is a deer I shot on public land in Missouri a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Mobile deer stand-missouri-buck-2.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Great buck there James. Congrats!! What part of Missouri did you hunt?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I think it would be a great idea for long range hunting in open areas. Perhaps tack on some pieces of the native brush for an extra bit of camo and you will blend in nicely.

For my shooting (30-100 yds) I have set up two different box blinds to hunt from, depending on the wind. My latest box blind is fairly inexpensive to build ($150) so I can afford to build several as needed.

Last edited by MZS; 07-07-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that blind might be effective, IF, you have enough private land to move it around on.
On the public land that I hunt, it wouldn't last past opening morning, someone would steel it.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Spike

Default Dave

Locust Creek!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default You got room

on that mobile Texas tower stand for the feeder they put some 75 yards away from the stand?
Those deer might just visit the feeder, after you moved.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

That blind should be extremely effective where longer range shots are the norm. As you've mentioned, it's not like your trying to move it somewhere on a tiny lil' 40 acre piece of midwest cover!

BTW, thats a fine lookin' MO buck, congrats!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Spike

Thanks Cornfed - Who are they Valentine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.