Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Conditioned Deer/Accustomed To Smells & Noises >

Conditioned Deer/Accustomed To Smells & Noises

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Conditioned Deer/Accustomed To Smells & Noises

Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Conditioned Deer/Accustomed To Smells & Noises

For those of you who hunt in semi rural areas where the deer are constantly smelling and hearing the same things day after day from suddivisions,buisnesses etc. Do you think this gives you an edge over the deer in those areas? For example,in one of my hunting areas there are homes and a few small buisnesses that border the 230 acres where I hunt. While hunting there you can smell people cooking breakfeast,here them working in their yards,kids playing and so on. I have taken more deer and turkey in this area than all the others I hunt. I have missed a few here as well which would have filled the freezer the past two years. Do the deer get conditioned to such a degree that they are easier to kill in your opinion?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Spike

I personally think that it gives you an edge over them. I think over time they become accustomed and used to all of the noises and are not as likely to pick up on smaller noises like you rustling around.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

makes sense
but i havent experienced it,
1 place where i hunt,
community borders state land,
deer regularly wander the community and are used to people,
yet in the game lands that borders the community the deer are just as skiddish and wary as other rural deer,
think they know they are safe in the community,
and know when things like smells are out of the ordinary in the woods.

and how close are you to these people? smellin their breakfast?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes . I know what you mean i hunt a few places where you hear people ,dogs, trains, backhoes, and other noises. they will come along regardless. there was even one i stalked on the ground that had two tearlings with her and she seamed to careless i was coming at her, while the young got a little nervous.
slowly walked up to 25 yards with a tree blocking her view of me when i stepped out
she was still eating so drew back and let her have it.
Some of my best spots are with in view of houses
Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm one of those guys that has a very rural spot in the north suburbs of Chicago. My stand is about 40 yds from the busiest interstates in the state. Ive seen about 30 deer from my stand before and have never heard one before I saw one from my stand because it is so loud from interestate traffic. There is never a lull in noise either, I always have cars/trucks coming by.

I don't believe these deer can smell me either with the exhaust but I really cant tell. I've never seen one wind we before but really can't tell. I believe they are used to scent but I think they can tell when the scent is closer than normal. What I have learned is these deer know when something is up. If you are walking down the street, they could care less or in your yard, but if they see you in a spot they haven't seen people in too often they know something is up. I hunt in a half acre piece of woods on a acre and a half of land. They could care less if you are in the yard but once you hit the woods they know something is out of the ordinary.

All in all, they are still deer and tough to hunt and know something is up when your after them. I've been spotted in my stand many times and I am 20 feet in the air, I don't know why but suburb deer seem to like to look up more in my area. Don't know if its from low flying plans or what.

Having a spot 30 minutes to hunt from Downtown Chicago is a great convience but also sometimes tests my skills in ways urban deer don't. As long as I can legally hunt I'll take it anyway I can!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

I know for a fact that it will give you an edge over them. For a prime example, back in the mid 80's I attended a class at the Xerox Training Center, in Alexandria, Va. It is located in the country and has everything to be self sustained for those attending. The deer there have become so accustomed to the people, that you can literally hand feed them. So obviously cig smoke, vehicles, human scent, etc., has become second nature to them. I was totally amazed, that they were so docile. Others with them were semi skittish, but in following example were learning they could get apples, carrots, etc. for a easy meal.

Many times I have heard from a farmer that if he carried a gun while on the tractor, he could have shot a bruiser. When out cutting firewood, I have had deer come very close to see what the commotion was. lol Of course we were out there everyday too.

Last edited by deerdust; 06-16-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

fastetti- I know what you mean about the sounds of the Hwy being close. We have a property in Pike Co, Il, that is borders Hwy 72. Tons of traffic, and when we put hunters there, have to tell them to just bare with it, they will come. LOL They think if they are that close they will see nothing, but it is a good property. On the other hand, those deer are not used to human scent, so if they wind you they are gone. What they have grown accustomed to is the sounds and smells of the vehicles on the Hwy. I have scouted that field with my truck in plain site. But if I pull up and stop while they are in the field, they are gone.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Spike

It's indeed something to ponder and I truely believe that deer exposed to normal human events are less wary of whats around them in the woods. Especially on the outer edges. Doors closing,chimney smoke,children laughing and people talking. I hut a similar area with distantly placed homes that most heat them with a wood stove. Well,what else comes from the chimney that the deer smell but smoke? My hunting buddies are appauled when I stand around the camp fire in my hunting clothes. Guess who has the most and biggest deer each year in the last 8 years running? I'm not saying the smoke smell helps but it sure doesnt hurt. Of course in areas where such things arent prominent this I doubt would be the case.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
makes sense
but i havent experienced it,
1 place where i hunt,
community borders state land,
deer regularly wander the community and are used to people,
yet in the game lands that borders the community the deer are just as skiddish and wary as other rural deer,
think they know they are safe in the community,
and know when things like smells are out of the ordinary in the woods.
I cannot comment on the original post except to say that Terasec and I share this experience. When driving to the state park, I have literally seen deer wondering through the neighborhood before dawn without a care in the world. In the woods they are as skittish and wary as ever. In fact, I have come much, much closer to deer (within 15 feet while on the ground) in extremely rural areas than I have in this state park.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Roobin Hood---I don't think shipping boats is what the guys are talking about on this thread!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.