Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestand placement ?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Treestand placement ?

How far off a deer trail do you put your treestand? How often do you check your trail cameras too?

Thanks Guys and Girls
Old 06-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

In general I am hunting fairy thick hardwood bottoms or thinned 20-30 year old pines. I will set my tree stand within 25 yards of the trail for bow hunting. For gun hunting, I set back as far as I can and still cover the trail ... which seldom is farther than 75 yards.

On the average I check my trail cameras about every 4-6 weeks during the off season and about every week starting early September. Our season starts Oct. 15. Once the season gets rolling, I'll cut back to 2-3 cameras, moving one or more periodically into to areas that I "plan to hunt" later. I check them all as soon as I can after arriving at camp, and then about every 2 days when I am at the camp.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

idealy i like to be 20 yards away, so nice close shot but not right under me
Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Spike

I think the question would be more like "How soon do I put my stand near an active trail?" If you have a permanant stand built that the deer have become used to I would say you could put it dang near on it,but then you would have too close of a shot. If you put up a new stand not far from the season I would go no less than 40 yards. Even if bow season is in a 40 yard shot is a bit of a stretch and deer dont always stick to the trail I've found. Sometimes they will meander closer or further from your location and it may work to your advantage. Put it in very early and then check those cam pics frequently to see if deer pass close by the stand or shy away.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Every situation is different... The higher you get, the farther away from the deer trail you should be for proper angle. But even if your hunting low, letting deer get to close often leads to getting busted. They are very sensitive to movements and noise within about 10 yards. I personally like to shoot them from about 18 feet at 16 to 20 yards...

As far as how often you should check your trail cams? You can get away with once a week or whatever as long as you have them placed away from your hunting areas... I rarely ever put a trail cam next to my hunting spot. Only on perfect conditions like during a rain, or on a day I am hunting there.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I limit my shots to about 25 yards, so I always set my stand within that range. I check my trail cams every weekend, sometimes every other weekend.