Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Feeding Deer Before The Season >

Feeding Deer Before The Season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feeding Deer Before The Season

Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Feeding Deer Before The Season

Is it harmful to provide corn or other processed grain for the deer during the summer months? Are they better off foraging a natural diet in their natural invironmment or is it good to provide this extra source of food? I know the mineral licks I put out are good for them from all I haver heard,I put out the Trophy Rock brand. What are your opinions about this practice.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I put out about 30 gallons of corn every weekend for my deer. I also have out mineral blocks. Sometimes I will also put out high protein corn gluten or other feeder supplements. I think it is beneficial for the deer, especially for the does that are dropping fawns and nursing now. I will stop with the corn once july gets here. There should be plenty of crops to start eating by then.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zmschillin
I put out about 30 gallons of corn every weekend for my deer. I also have out mineral blocks. Sometimes I will also put out high protein corn gluten or other feeder supplements. I think it is beneficial for the deer, especially for the does that are dropping fawns and nursing now. I will stop with the corn once july gets here. There should be plenty of crops to start eating by then.
One reason I'm putting food and minerals out is because the nearest corn,soybean and summer wheat fields are over two miles away from one of my hunting spots. The deer look pretty thin compared to the ones I see near these crop areas, I'm trying to keep a few a little closer to my acsess points.