Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

High Or Low?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

I miss low. Truthfully, I miss low and in front
Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
I miss low. Truthfully, I miss low and in front
My first miss was the same,low and to the front. I figured out what I did after the excitement passed. I hit my heavy jacket the left sleeve which caused my bow to shift left,also I failed to bend at the waist. It should have been an easy shot but I also rushed it a bit. The Doe was 15 to 18 yards or so out from my tree and gave me a perfect broadside shot in a clear lane of fire. I stood there for a few moments in shock that I missed so bad with such a easy set up. I tried to nock another arrow but the Doe trotted off before I could get a second shot.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by doetrain
My first miss was the same,low and to the front. I figured out what I did after the excitement passed. I hit my heavy jacket the left sleeve which caused my bow to shift left,also I failed to bend at the waist. It should have been an easy shot but I also rushed it a bit. The Doe was 15 to 18 yards or so out from my tree and gave me a perfect broadside shot in a clear lane of fire. I stood there for a few moments in shock that I missed so bad with such a easy set up. I tried to nock another arrow but the Doe trotted off before I could get a second shot.
Anticipating the shot and dropping your bow at release is a common problem that has happened to a lot of hunters. Myself included. It's habit to want to see where you hit the animal, so instinct is to drop your bow out of the way to see the impact.

I think many times this happens and hunters don't realize it's not the distance, or size of the target at the angle, but actually not following through on your shot as you normally would.

Last edited by StealthHtr22; 05-20-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22
Anticipating the shot and dropping your bow at release is a common problem that has happened to a lot of hunters. Myself included. It's habit to want to see where you hit the animal, so instinct is to drop your bow out of the way to see the impact.

I think many times this happens and hunters don't realize it's not the distance, or size of the target at the angle, but actually not following through on your shot as you normally would.
Makes perfect sense Stealth. After I missed I got on the site and was told to bend my waist and do as you said focus on the follow through and getting the shot right. It paid off this year with a perfect 30 yard shot on a Doe which droped after 60 yards or so. That shot took out the liver and a lung. I totally zoned in on the shot not the animal got my fever under contol and made a solid shot which led to some really great eating this year.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

I shot competitive archery for 25 years (2 state championships, a five state championship and 17th in the nation at the week long nationals) so have shot uphill and downhill and had to learn what happens.

When you shoot level your bow arm is square to your body and the bow (and arrow) reacts a certain way at the shot. This is how you sight in.

Now when up in a tree most just keep their torso erect and drop their bow arms. The arrow no longer reacts the same way as when the bow arm is level so the arrow goes high (WAY high!).

When practicing keep your bow arm square to your torso and bend at the waist. Now the arrow still might hit high (gravity) but not nearly as pronounced as when you change the relation of your bow arm to your torso by dropping it. Same applies on uphill shots.

Another "trick" is when shooting in the wind most archers move the bow over to try and compensate but their "mind" subconsiously wants to be on the target. When they shoot they don't realize it but move the bow towards the target.

Target archers have "levels" on their sights. Some hunting sights have levels. In a left to right cross wind (example) you "bubble over" the top wheel toward the wind so the bubble moves to the side and aim at the target. Right to left wind bubble over the top wheel to the right and aim at the target. You will hit the target without having to compensate for the winds effect on arrow speed or arrow direction.

Last edited by warbirdlover; 05-23-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Spike

Wow , talk about complcating a problem . Shoot from a tree in the off season and work on your form from the stand make no sight adjustments from shooting on the ground . Once you get comfortable shooting from a tree you will find that point of inpact is with in a inch of shooting from the ground at 20-30yds( the reall difference is at 5 yd are less) . The trick is you must be comfortable as if you were on the ground before you can shoot as well from a tree. Once you have this worked out suit up in cold weather closed and work out what it will take to shoot as well as in summer atire .