HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What should I use for rattling (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/34453-what-should-i-use-rattling.html)

GBhunter 08-03-2003 05:50 PM

What should I use for rattling

What is better for rattling, a plastic, store-bought set of antlers, or a set of real antlers?

thanks for reading please reply

[email protected]

Deerslayer_37 08-03-2003 06:19 PM

RE: What should I use for rattling

real antlers, much bettter sound.

slayer

thundermug 08-03-2003 07:17 PM

Yeah, what deerslayer said... but if ya ain' t got em, you can get the storebought plastic ones. Science has come along way in imitating the real things! Even hardwood dowels are decent imitators.

Half the trick to rattling in a buck is rubbing yer antlers on trees. I have just used my boot to rub a tree with and scratched the bark. Deer are curious animals (I guess he thought it was another buck, rubbing) and have shown up in a few minutes. Yeah it' s possible they were headed my way anyway.

lemond33 08-03-2003 10:45 PM

for compact and effectiveness...use a bag or the plastic banded tubes. i have rattled deer in with them. remember, deer arent that smart...they have great senses.

skeeter 7MM 08-06-2003 10:28 PM

REAL and dats, dat:D

OlMossyHorns 08-10-2003 04:05 PM

I disagree with most, antlers that are on a live deer are much different than those that are sheds. They have a different consistency and imitation antlers are made to have the consistency of antlers that are on a live deer....in my opinion making them sound better and more realistic.

Nicholal 08-12-2003 03:24 AM

shedded ones work real well. You may want to try and use 2 diffrent sheds IE from diffrent deer. I use a 4 point and a big burlly non typical. make a realistic sound.
Hope this helps

skeeter 7MM 08-12-2003 10:56 AM

Sheds work well if fresh, if they are bleached and left in the elimates for a good period, I tend to think they sound hollow. I use a set off a 5x5 & 4x4 from kills a number of years back(like nicohal I use unmatched sets when rattling), they have great tone and have rattled in countless bucks with them. I don' t like rattling bags, b/c they don' t allow me to rake the trees, ground, etc which I have found is a big teaser for mature bucks in my neck of the woods. If I had to choose synthetics it would be the fake horns, as they would allow me to do the same technique I have found works!

Bucky10 08-12-2003 11:54 AM

I have heard a lot of people say they have had good luck with the rattle bags but I think the real thing sounds just a bit better.

GBhunter 08-15-2003 09:12 AM

if you think that using two antlers of a different size works better i can do that becuz i have an antler off of an 8 pointer ( lost the other one) and several off of 4 and 6 pointers. the gun season for whitetails in wisconsin doesnt start until mid nov. and that may be too late for rattling. although last year i rattled with the antlers off of a 6 pointer and a 4 pointer ran in towards my stand.