Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow vs Gun

Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TrophyBuckHuntingGear
I am a bow hunting addict! There is no bigger rush then stalking and taking a deer within 80 yards using a bow. Rifle hunting is good too, but the rush and the sense of accomplishment is not as rewarding. It takes more patience and skill to bow hunt.

80 yards? what kinda bow you got?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Cool Don't leave home without it!!!

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
80 yards? what kinda bow you got?
You don't have one of these Halfbaked?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ballista.gif
Old 05-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. Question.

How many more deer could you have had the opportunity to take if you would have used a rifle instead of a bow? As in you saw but didn't get close enough.

I plowed a plot that my stand overlooks today. It's about 75 yards across, which is obviously too far to take with a bow, but I really like the idea of bow hunting. Just don't want to miss an opportunity.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by southLA
Thanks guys. Question.

How many more deer could you have had the opportunity to take if you would have used a rifle instead of a bow? As in you saw but didn't get close enough.

I plowed a plot that my stand overlooks today. It's about 75 yards across, which is obviously too far to take with a bow, but I really like the idea of bow hunting. Just don't want to miss an opportunity.

Thanks.

maybe move your stand midways in the field off the side? 30-35 yard shot either way u look?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:59 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TrophyBuckHuntingGear
I am a bow hunting addict! There is no bigger rush then stalking and taking a deer within 80 yards using a bow. Rifle hunting is good too, but the rush and the sense of accomplishment is not as rewarding. It takes more patience and skill to bow hunt.
You take up to an 80 yard shot with your bow???
Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

You can't just buy a bow and go hunting. If you want to do it right, you have to learn how to shoot it. I see all these bowhunters take two shots practice and they're ready for the season. I used to shoot competition and shot 100 arrows every day practice to keep my "form".

You don't want gut shot deer running around in the woods.

Rifles (black powder or centerfire) are a different story. Not as challenging to learn to shoot them well.

And bowhunting is a "solo" technique. Just you all alone.

Rifle hunting is more of a group thing IMHO.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Spike

if u want plenty of opertunities but u like rifles then u could get a cross bow its much easier than a compound bow or recurve etc...
Old 07-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default Louisiana

Im from Louisiana (Allen Parish), Id buy a bow if I were you. Then if you decide to hunt with a gun take your shotgun with some buckshot. If it is something you think you will like buy a rifle next year.. What part of LA you hunting?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

In some States Your not allowed to use a crossbow unless Your Handicapped or an older Age where they allow it to be used then,be sure to check the Game and Firearm Laws in your State before buying any type of Bow or Firearm for that matter.

I have seen many Deer that were too far out to where I could safely and ethically be able to shot them with a Bow,thats why its so challenging to Hunt with them.Your not going to walk out the first day and shoot something...it takes a lot of time and patients and You have to learn to shot it accurately.Another thing is learning to hunt with the wind directions and staying scent-free while Bow Hunting...the Deer will be a lot closer to You when hunting with a Bow...over time You will learn to be a better Hunter while using a Bow and a Rifle.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would start with a gun. Unless you are up for the bow hunts which have a lot of ups an downs. But, when one does come in on you it is a whole different world. Which ever you decide to do just practice. If you want to bow hunt you better start shooting soon because it needs to be something that you are very comfortable with when you get in the tree. Confidence, patients an learning the way of the whitetail is the key.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.