Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
WI hunters-- STOP Earn A Buck Restrictions now >

WI hunters-- STOP Earn A Buck Restrictions now

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WI hunters-- STOP Earn A Buck Restrictions now

Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another point of view. Here in Alabama, way back in the 1970's , we had what we referred to as "doe days". Some counties had 0 days. Others had as many a 5. During these days, a hunter could take 1 doe each of those days. Now we have, in most counties, a full season long (108 days including archery only) period during which each and every hunter can take 2 does each day. I hunt 3147 acres along with 14 other guys, their sons and the occasional guest. Since I began hunting with that group 9 years ago , we have set a goal of taking a minimum of 75 does (5 each) during the season. We have done that (+/- a few) every season. Last year we recovered 83 does, and know of 4 more we are certain are dead but not recovered ... gut shot or just not otherwise able to find the doe. We have seen no measurable reduction in the does as well as the bucks that we see each season. Fall fawns are numerous. It is incredible how many deer I see each season. I would guess that I could have easily killed 30-35 does. In addition our area has a 3 buck/season limit ... one of which must have a minimum of 4 points on one side. My buck kills last year were typical of all of our group - 2 nice 8 pt. and a fine 10 pt. We have seen no drop off in numbers of bucks, but a tremendous increase in body weight. When I first started, the bigger does were running 115# or so. Now it is not uncommon to see at the end of the year, 10-15 does on our kill board topping 125 pounds, with 3-4 breaking 130#. The buck weight has been up about the same .... up from a "big' 175# in 2003 to 200# +/- the pas 2-3 seasons. I think, but cannot prove, that the increase in body weight can be attributed to the taking of 80 or so does .... which also tells me that we see only a fraction of what does are roaming around on or across our place. As for nocturnal ? I cannot recall when I have not had to deal with this issue. Going back to the 1960's. I will say that it appears, but once again I cannot prove, that the bigger bucks are very much nocturnal these days. One of our group has about 15 cameras out year round. He has captured some bruisers on his trail cams .... only 3-4-5 of which have ever been seen in daylight. Baiting with loose feeds is not legal down this way, but food plots are. Not sure what effect on daylight movement that might have. Not much I suspect ... because the biggest deer captured on a trial camera was a truly massive 5x5 that has to go 180 ... and he was caught on camera crossing a 2 acre food plot at about 11:30 a.m. on an 85 deg F day !! He was caught 15-20 times on cameras set in about a 1 mile square area. But never seen or caught on camera again in day light. Same scenario in 2010 and 2009. Several bruisers caught on trail cams around midnight ... but none of these were seen during the daytime.

Last edited by Mojotex; 05-18-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spell
Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Wisc, they are worried about CWD but allow baiting?

Aren't bait piles a big spreader of CWD?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Spike

Default nappy 13

Please get the governomen t out of my life and let mother nature and da hunters take care of things
Old 05-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Sauk County and our 1 neighbor shot a doe that tested postive for CWD. By the time he got the test results back he had already eaten 3/4 of the meat from that doe. That was roughly 5 years ago and he is just fine. CWD is a joke and was an excuse to kill off deer.