Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Supplements?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the mineral called "Lucky Buck"...it has the most mineral content than the other name brand store bought minerals on the market,I also put out a 50lb salt block next to the mineral lick.Here in Missouri You can use salt and minerals as long as there is no grain mixed with it.I usually take a shovel or even a small 3-prong garden utensil and break up the ground,mix some mineral in and pour some on top also.The rain and weather will work the minerals into the ground over time and I refresh it every few months or more if needed?Its best to put the minerals/salt close to a water source and located in a area where the Deer have some cover.I have also used the natural mineral supplement called "Trophy Rock" and the Deer really like it also...if possible try different minerals to see what they like..I even use the small 2-3lb mineral bricks that are much easier to carry far back in the woods.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr
Can you get this in smaller amounts?
The following might be considered spam, but since you asked and I've been a regular for five years now...

I am personally launching a product that is formulated specifically for deer, better than dical, and available in smaller amounts. Dical has always been a compromise that was meant for cows, not the needs of deer during antler growth and lactation.

Deer benefit from a 2 to 1 calcium to phosphorus ratio and also require vitamin D to absorb calcium and regulate calcium and phosphorus levels in the blood. Dical falls short on both fronts.

I have developed a D I Y mineral concentrate (along with other ready to use products) that is 24% Calcium, 12% Phosphorus, 1% Magnesium, and it contains Vitamins A, D, and E to improve overall herd health and aids in calcium and phosphorus absorption.

If you click on the link in my signature, it is at the bottom of the page.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Spike

i use all kinds of mineral licks and salt blocks. but the one that i like the most would have to be "Trophy Rock. its a lot of minerals for the money. i also occasionally sit on bait sites in bow season, we only use corn, but it works great in the late season. there was one mineral lick that i had once that had granola in it, the deer ate that up like crazy! but I've never had success with anything like "Deer Cain", "Black Magic" or any other attractants you buy in a bag though. hope this helps!!