Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How High To Hunt?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default How High To Hunt?

This topic has probably been discussed here before, but I could not find the threads in a search. At any rate, it is probably a topic that should be discussed again.

The question is: How high is high enough when hunting deer with a bow and/or a gun? I have a stand at about 10' that seemed to be plenty high, given the correct wind. I also have one near 30' that scares me to death and I would not let my son hunt it. And I did spook a deer once from this super high stand that was down wind from me - never saw the deer but heard it snort and bound away. This latter case was one where I had previously spooked this deer several times so it was pretty cagey! I am almost concluding that correct wind and concealment (and not spooking the crap out of them on previous hunts) is key and that height is merely to help take you out of line of sight and put you above the brush (for long gun shots). Is 8 ft (at the base of where you stand/sit) high enough?

Last edited by MZS; 04-22-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt almost exclusively from tree stands. Typically I set up from about 15' to about 25', depending upon the under growth and available trees. As you have mentioned, I have found that even at 25', deer can get my scent. All depends upon the drift. I have tried a zillion products to give me good control of my odor, but to little observed avail. The cover scents, laundry soaps, body washes and so called "scent control" garments have all proven to be minimally effective as far as I can tell. So I go up as high as it makes sense to and try to locate down wind of where I suspect that the deer will be traveling. Then I pray for a little luck !
Old 04-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on a lot of factors. Terrain, tree canopy height, size and type of available trees, wind, updrafts and downdrafts, whether I'm hunting with a gun or a bow, etc.... I'll hunt anywhere 12 feet to 30 feet. In the piney woods of South Arkansas during gun season I'll be 25-30 feet up, and if I'm bowhunting here in North Texas, I'll be lucky to get fifteen feet, as an example.

Last edited by GRIZZLYMAN; 04-22-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:48 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GRIZZLYMAN
It depends on a lot of factors. Terrain, tree canopy height, size and type of available trees, whether I'm hunting with a gun or a bow, etc.... I'll hunt anywhere 12 feet to 30 feet. In the piney woods of South Arkansas during gun season I'll be 25-30 feet up, and if I'm bowhunting here in North Texas, I'll be lucky to get fifteen feet, as an example.
Another factor up by us is the cold. It can be below zero during our gun season - that gets very cold very fast in a very high un-sheltered tree stand. Not a factor during archery, unless it is a late season hunt.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Spike

I usually always try to get to at least 20 ft, but will hunt as high as 30 ft. The canopy does affect how high you can hunt. I feel that if I hunt any lower than 20 ft, then you are more apt to have any movement spotted, and you are more likely to get winded. Obviously the higher you hunt, the more your angle changes for bowhunting.
I have a buddy that is scared of heights, and he only hunts about 12-15 ft off the ground. He sticks out like a sore thumb and is always getting busted.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm usually about 15+ft in a ladder stand, but would be higher if I could. I use to climb, but my knees don't work as well as they use to. The highest I use to climb was 50 feet, but at that height it would be harder to shoot a deer at any distance if the wind blowing the tree very much.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

That question would have to be asked at every set up... I might be anywhere from ground level to 25 feet up. Lots of factors such as wind direction, cover, thermals, etc...
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my ladder stands are 15' high...I have 2 Rivers Edge ladder stand that are 17' high and I really like them..if I'm using a climbing stand I like to go up 15-25 feet high at the most...all the height in the world isn't going to help You if You don't practice Scent-control,always wash your hunting clothes in scent-free detergent,wear rubber boots and spray down with a good scent-killer spray in my opinion no matter how high up You go in a tree/ladder stand You still have to cover up your scent!I also like to find a decent size tree to hide my silohette or one with good cover so the Deer don't sky-line me.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

What ever safe height feels comfortable to you --> is the answer to the high end.

The second question I usually ask myself is what tree conceals me the best.
And will / may dictate the height based on that day's hunt with the wind direction.
I usually try and pick a few trees for the different winds for that matter.
If I have a choice a nice hemlock would be it. (slightly off subject).
Three main reasons for a hemlock if I have the choice (in no particular order)
1) less steps - as you can usually climb it like a monkey
2) As mentioned - concealment
3) the natural odor - while sitting I'll pull some needles off a near by branch and I'll even chew a bit of them to camoflague my breath (allright - I'm kidding about pulling needles off) (but chewing them makes a great gum!)
Old 04-23-2011, 01:38 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I guess I know just a little too much physics.
H = 16t^2. If H=32 ft, 32 = 16t^2 and t= 1.414 seconds.

V = 32t. Plug in t=1.414 to get V = 45 ft/sec, rounded.
45 ft/sec X 1 Mile/5280 ft X 3600 sec/hour = 30MPH, rounded down.

That is how fast your are going if you fall 32 ft! Sort of like jumping off a car going 30 MPH into a nearby wall, covered in soil.

That is why I won't let my son hunt my high stand!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.