Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How High To Hunt?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Spike

As others have said, there's really too many factors to consider. When I hunt locally, I'm always in a 15' stand. The wind is always in my face (in SW Ohio the wind rarely ever blows from anywhere but the West) and that's all the higher I need to get to be able to see over the rolling hills. When I travel to Central/Eastern OH to gun hunt, I'm getting into the foothills of the App. Mountains and I usually use a climber and get to about 40' up. Even at that height, a deer 40 yards up the hill from me is looking down on me due to the extreme slope of the hills.

The biggest thing to consider is where you're comfortable, both tactically and for safety purposes. If it's always in the back of your mind that you're so low that any deer within a mile will smell you, or that you're so high you'll be skylined, that ain't good. On the flip side, if you're so high that you're afraid to move, you'll make more noise than a diesel engine trying to adjust for a shot.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

typically between 20 and 30 feet but have hunted as high as 50 feet with a gun. i primarily hunt out of climbers.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with both feet on the ground for several reasons. I've had much success over the years stalking (slow movement, stop for short period, listen, watch, etc.). I find it a much more interesting hunt than stationary up in a tree for hours.
It's much safer. I can't count the number of people I've known and/or heard of 1st/2nd hand who've fallen out of trees (e.g. climbing up/down or before they were secured) broken arms, legs, pelvis, back, kneck, etc. Even if you're teather with a strap, should you loose you balance, what are you going to do with your loaded gun (if firearm hunting) while you try to pull yourself back into the stand? That's not for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Spike

I think 10' is a reasonable height.I've been 15' before and I start to get the shakes,so I just sit down at that height.I've been at 20' before(the heighest I ever been)and I'm basically giving the tree a bear hug!!So I don't go any higher than 10'.At 10' I've had plenty 'o' action(deer walking around right under me,same goes for turkeys and dogs too!!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:46 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

50'??? What kind of tree and climber allowed you to get that high?

Since I started using a LW climber I go as high as the tree and canopy allow. Having open shooting lanes in the hardwoods seems to be the biggest limiting factor. I try to get to 30' if possible. I've had much better luck not getting scented once to this height. Even if they do pick it up, it's diluted and they can't pin point where it came from. Depends on a lot of factors as others have said.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

i bow hunt so never went very high,
also where i hunt is rolling with lots of knolls,
if i set up at the bottom of the know at 10-15' i am generally at eye level as they come over the knoll,
if i set up 10-15' at the top of the knoll, i am then looking at least 20-30' to the bottom of the knoll,
so i stick to the ground at top of knolls,
Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Spike

Its all about the hunting environment, wind, and location of stand. I personally like to go at least 30 feet if the canopy from saplings is not blocking my view of my surroundings on the ground. It helps my scent (better than 15') and it gives me the opportunity to move a little bit more while hunting a full day.

Forunately I have a ridge overlooking a creek bed with tall beech trees, poplars, and birches. I put this stand up with 5 sets of 4' ladder steps, and facing east so when the sun comes up my silhouette doesnt give me away. Between the 20' ladder steps and the 20 foot ridge below, its pretty much 40 ft to the trail with at least a 60 degree slope to the bottom that they are using to come up the ridge (10 yrds from tree) to my clover plots from the creek bed. It also gives me extremely long views during the fall when the leaves fall for my muzzleloader. I have taken deer on the other side of creek at 200 yrds since my view was unobstructed.

The answer to your question, however is how safe you feel, and ALWAYS strap yourself in while up there so there are no doubts of your safety. Thermals in the hotter days keeps the scent higher but make sure you have trees to cover you from behind so you dont stick out!...did I mention KEEP your strap on and NEVER carry your gear while climbing? Always keep a haul line, or if you are using climber, pack it in your gear!

Last edited by Hoyt ViperTec; 05-23-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by spottedwolff
I think 10' is a reasonable height.I've been 15' before and I start to get the shakes,so I just sit down at that height.I've been at 20' before(the heighest I ever been)and I'm basically giving the tree a bear hug!!So I don't go any higher than 10'.At 10' I've had plenty 'o' action(deer walking around right under me,same goes for turkeys and dogs too!!
Exactly the same here, I've never been at 10ft or so and wished I was higher for any given reason.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by GRIZZLYMAN
It depends on a lot of factors. Terrain, tree canopy height, size and type of available trees, wind, updrafts and downdrafts, whether I'm hunting with a gun or a bow, etc.... I'll hunt anywhere 12 feet to 30 feet. In the piney woods of South Arkansas during gun season I'll be 25-30 feet up, and if I'm bowhunting here in North Texas, I'll be lucky to get fifteen feet, as an example.
I also agree!....
Old 05-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Zim
50'??? What kind of tree and climber allowed you to get that high?

Long Needle Pine and Summit Goliath SS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.