Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting new land need help

Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Spike

Default hunting new land need help

So I got this farmer to let me hunt is farm. But where to start. There is 4 corn feilds all which have woods and swamps near them 2 of the corn feilds also has soy beans where would be the best place to set up my. Stand. Edge offeild swamp woods near feild and swamp pleaase help me out lol
Old 04-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

get out there and look for deer sign and learn their patterns before you think about hanging stands, and set up more than one so you have options with the wind, and you do don't want to over hunt just one location. Setting up game cameras would be helpful.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

If you can post a aerial photo
Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

I would first look for sign and if you have a game camera put that out on a trail. It might also be legal to bate in your state so you could put some attrating stuff out. I like to use Antler King Final Feast, I get the best results from it!!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Overhead photos would be good to see. Nothing beats going out and looking for sign though. With aerial photos you can see pinch points, bottlenecks, tree lines, inside corners, etc etc.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Spike

I went out today ifound the doe trail but has been hard to find the trailthe bucks are using.... the farmer told me he has 4 or 5 four year old 10 point bucks going out again to morrowto put the cams out
Old 04-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Spike

Agree that setting up some game cams would be helpful, but spend a little time in the woods looking for some hot trails. I love hunting spots where trails intersect. Sections of woods between food sources and bedding areas are typically good places to be.
Ask the farmer where he has been seeing good deer. A little info from someone who has spent a lot of time on the property and knows the land can go a long way.
Also consider spending a couple of mornings in the stand before the season comes in. Deer patterns can change as the food sources change and as the acorns start to drop, but sitting and watching can give you some good information and help you to fine-tune your stand placement before the season starts. It also gives you a good excuse to spend a little more time in the woods.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

A good, easy to navigate site I use all the time for aerials/topo is:
http://www.acme.com/planimeter/
You can print from the site also. In our area the aerials are relatively new, other sites may have better aerials in your area.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Its all about finding the bedding... Deer are nocturnal and mature bucks spend the majority of there "daylight" time near where they bed... Check out those swampy areas.