Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Optimal Hunting time - Moon Dependent >

Optimal Hunting time - Moon Dependent

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Optimal Hunting time - Moon Dependent

Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Question Optimal Hunting time - Moon Dependent

I have read about optimal times of day to hunt depending on the phase of the moon as this is a good indicator of when deer move (not including weather, rut phase, etc)

There seem to be some conflicting theories out there. For example some have specified hunting times depending on the four moon phases, whereas other hunt only within the hours the moon is overhead or underfoot. These two theories don't usually conicide.

So which is better? Or are there additional theories?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

My take on the matter, which will I do? Take my bow and blind out in the woods and spend the whole day there, just before dark until sunset. I've got the patience for it, and all of those theories are general and don't apply to all deer anyway.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

im kind of with jicand, i can only hunt so many days so it doesnt really matter what the calendar or phase says, ill hunt when i can hunt regardless. That being said, last year i took a buck about 945am, and i did notice on the hunting/fishing calendar for that day, the prime time for game movement that morning was between 9 and 11 so it does make you wonder if theres something to it
Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Ya i just got a new calender that tells all the good days for hunting so I guess I am gonna test it out and find out.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

I have found that the over head under foot theory is pretty close, but given the chance I'm in the wood's. Doesn't matter what the moon phase is, can't kill'em on the couch eh!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't pay much attention to it, I hunt every chance I get regardlees of the moon phase.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I worry more about the wind than I do about the moon, although I had rather hunt on a dark moon. The rut is the main thing I want to hunt.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Has anyone heard that during a quarter moon, deer tend to move later in the morning and earlier in the evening than a new moon for example?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
I have found that the over head under foot theory is pretty close, but given the chance I'm in the wood's. Doesn't matter what the moon phase is, can't kill 'em on the couch eh!
X2!! I have a clock/calendar hanging in my deer camp. I believe its called a Keppler Moon Clock. I think it is based on the over head- under foot theory also.I will get it this weekend when I'm up there. I also am a firm believer that you can't kill 'em from the couch! Also, I won't miss a chance to hunt during the rut! I was told long ago "there are days that you a better off staying at home!" I have come to believe that also. Days of severe weather and/or high winds, you'd just as well be doing "honey-do's!"
Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Spike

Question

Sorry to be so dumb, but what is this overhead underfoot thing. I really don't understand the underfoot part for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.