Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SENT, HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?

Old 07-29-2003, 05:50 PM

Default SENT, HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?

Understanding that there are many different types of sent and the amounts to use will more than likely vary.

But, lets say Doe Pee. How much is too much? Deer in general will urinate much more than any human, so how could you use to much when the bottle only holds a few ounces?

Seems like the more the better. I used tons in the passed and taken great deer and other time have had to luck.

What your advise...

Thanks,
Jred
Old 07-30-2003, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SENT, HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?

I don' t use scents, but that is just my choice. I think scouting and putting yourself in an area that is utilized by lots of deer is the most important thing. I know lots of people that use/have used scents and some swear by them and others swear at them. It seems that part of the problem is getting scents that are truely doe in estrus scent. In a thread with T.R. Michaels ( in response to ' click' on page three of his forum) he stated that some of the collection companies he knew of just started collection in the fall and that it was basically hit or miss on the " in estrus' status. A representative of Code Blue told me that the farms they use for collection use hormones to induce estrus for their collection dates. So to not answer your question, I think it is a crap shoot on the usage of scent lures.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:37 AM

i use scents. there are attractants and cover scents.during the rut i use an attractant.i use just enough to get the scent in the air.i just feel that any more than this would be unusual to the deer.i always use some type of cover scent. i use the kind that just kills the human odor.i do njot use the scented odor killers
Old 07-31-2003, 06:02 AM
Dominant Buck

When using doe pee I select a brand that came from a single doe in heat , and as fresh as possible . I also use buck pee with tarsal , also from a single animal . In the field I' ll hang 2 scent drippers a few yards apart to create mock scrapes with both types . Other times I' ll just put a small amount of each in scent bombs . There is such a thing as too much .
Old 08-01-2003, 10:40 AM

i agree with you kevin.too much is often the problem.some people use scents that are not normal in that area.i used skunk cover once and it kept the deer away.hell.it kept the mrs away also.i found a guy that makes water based scents. they are not very strong. i even put it on the outside of my gun. i had a deer come and bed down under my tree. guess the stuff worked
Old 08-01-2003, 03:13 PM

last season i used doe pee, estrus, and tarsal gland scents throughout the deer season. i filled a tinks scent bomb about half full and hung it at chest level. on two or three different occasions i had deer actually come in full fledge running and put their nose right on the scent bomb within 10-20 minutes of hanging it. this being my first year using scents i couldn' t believe it. there were also a couple other times that deer passed within 50 yards and didn' t pay any attention to it. i guess you never really know.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:33 PM

I am one of those guys that swear by scents.

I used every single kind of " Scent Shield" and " Wildlife Research" scent there is out there. I have used " Tinks" and found it to be less effective, and the " Wildlife Research" to be the best. And i' m not just advertising

As for using too much scent, i found that it can very easily be done. It gets too overpowering and the deer will tend to shy away from it. If you use a lot, the deer will come to the general area of the smell (25 yds), but never walk up to the actual scent. If there is a little, the deer will have to search longer and harder and be more intent on the smell, and less intent on what is going on around him.

I have read many books about scents and like to think i know a little something. But i mostly rely on experience, and i have tried every kind of " Wildlife Research" scent and i think i have an idea which ones work and don' t, and which ones just make a deer just clueless.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:56 PM

there is a company here in texas that makes a scented candle and a holder for the candle.the things are unreal mhow well they work.you can light the candle and it blow out.the smell real remain for hours in the area.i only use in in the rut.last year a small buck came by towards the end of the rut. dead eye me shot and missed. i sat there cussing my head when i noticed the deer had come back. this time he went in the freezer. i have never had any luck with tinks.i have tried tarsal glands and never had any luck. many people swear by these.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

My thinking was much the same as yours. A deer pees quite a bit more than an ounce or two each time they urinate so why not use as much when distributing the non estrous doe urine.

The only viable reason that I was given in terms of not doing this was because the doe urine that we buy in the bottle is supposedly a " concentrated" form. Whether or not this is true or whether or not it applies to all brands I honestly cannot answer.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:40 PM

did you see the show on cable about all the companies that distribute scents.all but a couple buy the old outdated scents from the companies and lable them as their own. they suggested it was tinks.the scents are too concentrated to use alot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.