Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need some "wood" help

Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default I need some "wood" help

I'm building a new luxury (ground) blind for rifle hunting and have everything ready except what 4' x 8' plywood I should use for it. I've been planning on treated marine plywood ($$$$) and then read an article on how good cedar is for outdoor buildings. Except I don't think they make cedar plywood sheets. Is oriented strand board any good for outdoor buildings?

I need suggestions. Soon!!! Thanks.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Around here we can get either 3/8ths or 5/8ths treated plain plywood that will last a LONG time. I have a couple of scrap pieces laying out in the weather that have been there for years that you can't tell any change in. We can also get pre-painted camo sheets and the price isn't too bad. With any salt based treated wood you need to use either stainless screws or hot dipped galvanized.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

I have 3 blinds made of metal except for the floor 1 16' high, 1 ground level and 1 on a trailer . I don't worry about weather ruining my blinds. Talking about luxury, the trailer blind is 7' x 12' and 7' high. It has carpet on the floor and the shooting benches under the 3 windows and a fold up table. I even bow hunt out of it. You can also sleep in it if you wish. Metal is almost as cheap as wood and weather related trouble are almost zero. The tower blind has been up for about 15 years and no problems. Jim
Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Spike

OSB can be used ONLY if you are protecting it from the elements (put some kind of siding and shingles on the roof), it is not meant for long-term exterior exposure (it'll go to crap on you in a couple of months sitting out in the weather). If you are not looking to do anything to it (i.e. prime/paint, put any kind of siding on it), then a regular treated plywood (usually a southern yellow pine is used) would work fine...marine grade plywood is VERY expensive. If you don't mind priming/painting then you could use an AC grade of plywood (either yellow pine or fir is fine) but make sure that it gets sealed all around with your primer (especially the edges) and paint. You could also use a 5/8" T1-11 fir which is often used for exterior use (again, be sure to prime/paint it or use an exterior stain to seal it). Cedar plywood does exist, but it's hard to come by and the cost would cause you to fall off your chair.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies...

I can't find "zantac" as a building material. It keeps coming up as some kind of medicine.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

cedar would be great, naturally protective, smells good/cover scent.

don't use osb outside,

I'd be careful of using treated ply....I'm sure those chemicals smell and not to mention they're not healthy for you.

could use reg ply and just cover the entire exterior in cedar shakes...something along those lines...

you may be able to buy cedar shake siding which looks like individual cedar shakes but it comes in sheets, they now make this look in some kind of composite/concrete type siding, which would last forever just about, think you can order it in any color too just about.

Last edited by salukipv1; 03-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Warbird, they do make cedar sheets but I would not recommend it. Is there any cedar there in the woods? The cedar sheets would need a sealant on it and thats another scent to think about. Get some 3/8 masonite lapp siding and home depot has it for about $35.00 for a 4x8 sht. and it comes primed. You can also use 1x6 cedar without sealing it if cedar is in the woods there. Even 1x6 pine will last for about 10 yrs but what ever you use, get it out their so it can get weathered and the game gets accustom to it being their, its something you don't want to make the week b4 hunting season, whatever you us. Good Luck.

Bobby
Old 03-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

There's lot's of treated pine siding on the blinds we have on the land and no scent problems. I'm trying to get this built (sections for quick assembly in the woods) this spring and on the land early summer. That should be good for the fall hunt. If you saw the monstrosity that was parked right out in the open 20 feet up you'd never believe you'd see deer but I've got two 9 pointers from that stand (now torn down) and the year before I got in on the lease the guy who hunted from it got this deer. It's a "funnel" where all the deer coming on the land usually come by me.
Attached Thumbnails I need some "wood" help-garysdeer2.jpg