Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found my target buck dead

Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Spike

thats an oldddd dude. 5.5 or 6.5
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Spike

I agree with DixieHuntin... that's an old dude. Like 5-6 y/o for sure! Will make a great mount.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

If you have the Jaw bone it is relatively easy to get an idea as to his age, (it is really easy to do), I understand it isn't perfect BUT darn close!! (it is the method that the DNR uses in the field) As to age,, I have NO idea but would guess in the 3 1/2 area, most people do not realize that a VERY, very small percentage of deer live to the "Ripe" old age of 5+, Probobly not more than 1 or 1 1/2 %. Size / condition of antlers do not necessarily give any indication of age, (jmop) Doc
Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Man, that's a shame. I agree with the euro mount requests. Post pics if you do it! Edit: I missed your post about caping him....that's awesome.

Confused by this statement...there's nothing fresh about that deer!!
confused? lol I know he is grose looking but the rest of his body had pink meat on the bones and in his face. so I am guessing only a few weeks he has been dead.

Thats what I meant....hope that clears it up
Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sadly it doesn't take long for the Coyote's and other Predators and Birds to whittle down a fully grown Deer,we had a Buck get hit along the roadside a few weeks ago...within that 2 week period the Deer was down to a mere skeleton/carcass.Luckily I was able to get the head and called the Game Warden for a Reciept to keep it,it ended up being a Young 1 & 1/2 year old 6-Point Buck with a broken brow-tine when it was still in velvet so it was considered a 5-Pointer.