Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

They pissed me off tonight!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Spike

Default They pissed me off tonight!!!

Well to start things off. I get to my spot and find the adjacent property owner and 2 vehicles parked 40 yards from my stand. I dropped my corn and then proceeded to ask them what they were doing. As I walked up to them a big german sheppard runs up to me( great) . He said they were cutting wood. Now it was already 3pm. I think even better!!! Chain saws running, gass cans, people walking, trees falling and a dog running around. The guy said they were about to leave. I was furious. I sat at teh truck and fumed for a while. I Then said screw it and grabbed my gun. I went in anyway. It was 4pm. It wasnt long and I had the first visitor.

I wasnt planning on doing much but it started out ok.
Next thing you know, here they came.

Then I snapped. I figured I was going to take advantage of the situation.
Here is one of the not so lucky!!

I had more come before dark. It was happening so fast I didt have time for pictures.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

which goes to show you it doesnt have to be silent to have game come through. Hey, maybe the noise detoured the deer!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
standard method of hunting in the far north early fall, run a chainsaw awhile and they deer come looking for browse.
RR
thats why we always carry the guns when we cut during season
Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Same here, I cut a lot of wood during the slow afternoons of deer season, always seem to see a few doe. Never had a buck come in tho. Looks like a good hunt!
-Jake
Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Spike

Deer aften get used to what is going on in their range area. I never where cover sents and rearly where camo. I have friends who go all out and I still shot as many if not more deer then them. Before I quit smoking I killed 2 just after I had a smoke on the stand and 1 while smoking a cig. (the wind was blowing right them) Deer just get used to what ever is around them and don't spook quite as easy as many think.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by steve72444
Deer aften get used to what is going on in their range area. I never where cover sents and rearly where camo. I have friends who go all out and I still shot as many if not more deer then them. Before I quit smoking I killed 2 just after I had a smoke on the stand and 1 while smoking a cig. (the wind was blowing right them) Deer just get used to what ever is around them and don't spook quite as easy as many think.
But how many of those deer are the big old bucks and does. Those younger deer are always curious and dumber. Two years ago I was walking out of a timber and there was two young does standing about 40 yards away and watched me as I walked 20-30 yards then I stopped and looked at them for a few minutes and they just stood there staring. Then I started doing "grunt" calls with my mouth which weren't all that good. But those two does started to work my way a little bit and got within 25-30 yards.

Just this past summer I was out checking cameras and I kicked up a very young buck, in velvet, maybe had a 2-3 inches on him, and I literally followed this buck around my timber doing mouth calls to him. Their was times when I got 10 yards and closer to him. But he never ran off. Just slowly walked away.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

sometimes if im runnin late, ill ask the guy to go brush hawg..i really believe it keeps the deer out until i get there, when he see's me climb in stand, he parks the tractor and goes to the house, usually bout 30-45 minutes, the deer walk out.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

I knew an old farmer that said he got his buck every year while brush hogging. He'd let the golden rods grow in some of his rotated fields all year, then brush hog and get one in november. Never actually saw him do it, but that was his story.
-Jake
Old 01-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Old Chinese Adage

He who hunt near property line and parked vehicles, get annoyed many times. Too easy to find him.