Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Taking the hunter's safety course. >

Taking the hunter's safety course.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Taking the hunter's safety course.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

I was not watching close enough, this turned into a gun law debate, so I will put my two cents in. I am into a divorce now going on three years. My soon to be ex cleaned out what she wanted from the house when I was gone a few days. Among things taken were two rifles and a handgun. I called the State Police and they were afraid to get involved. Next I called the District Attorneys office, and they told me to file a stolen property report with the local police first. After that the ex and her lawyer threatened me with a PFA order. I never threatened, intimidated, or did anything else to the ex. I told them if they went and got an instant PFA I did not care because when the hearing came around I would sue the ex, her trailer trash family, and anybody else that made up lies about my character. I have seen people fired from jobs because of Protection From Abuse Orders and if you sue somebody that can't prove it, believe me it will stick. Just keep your head and don't say anything out-of-hand, curse or anything of that nature. Your wife can get an instant PFA or restraining order, but when the hearing comes up to make it offical, she has to prove just cause. This is Pennsylvania advice, but holds pretty much in the other states. I did get my guns back.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Spike

so, yeah, this discussion went totally off base. lol I will add that I will be also be trying to get my PAL after the course is done.

I enjoyed reading about the different course lengths, what other courses entail, and I guess, the answer to my question would be.... the volunteers probably don't have the time to play with the sights.

I understand that it's a course on safety, and there's alot to learn. Everything is explained thoroughly. so, there's not a whole lot of questions left to ask.

One of the first things the instructors made us do, was test for our dominate eye. They said that even if your right handed if your dominate eye is the left one, you should be shooting with your left. Did anyone else have to test for this when they started?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Shrapnal
One of the first things the instructors made us do, was test for our dominate eye. They said that even if your right handed if your dominate eye is the left one, you should be shooting with your left. Did anyone else have to test for this when they started?

never heard of testing for dom eye during hunter ed class,
i only became aware of dom eye issues during pool league
where they to me to correct it,
Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I understand if its true but how many women would do it for spite?
RR
Thats like asking, how many grenades go off if you pull the pin...all of em

Personal story time, I was denied the 1st time I applied for a NYSpistol permit, because of an active FRO (final restraining order) issued to me years earlier, during a breakup with a live in GF, NJ FROs NEVER expire! Heres the kicker ,I was the plantiff(victim) listed on the FRO!!!! I reapplied last year with documentation showing that I was the plantiff not defendant, the sherrif who reviewed my application said "its still shows a propensity to get involved in domestic disputes" but it would ultimately be up to the judge. 8 months later Im still waiting for a response.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
never heard of testing for dom eye during hunter ed class,
i only became aware of dom eye issues during pool league
where they to me to correct it,
You can do that if you train yourself to.

I'm right-handed left eye dominant. I have to shoot with my left eye closed, or I miss whatever I'm shooting at. I have tried training myself to shoot with my left eye with my pistol. Let's just say it's a work in progress still...

Hell, I still shoot low and to the right on guns that most people shoot dead on. The longer the gun, the less it is, but still, I have to be cognisant of that fact. Granted, that may have more to do with my stigmatism than my shooting eye dominance. At 100 yards I'm down and to the right 5" when shooting my Father's or my other relatives guns. It's a nice consistent group at least.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Spike

Default 4th class

ok, so today we covered alot. mainly... how to clean your firearm, shooting positions, carrying a firearm, aiming, safe zone.

I questioned one thing, they said clean your firearm from breech to muzzle. does it matter if you stick the rod down the muzzle first before attaching the cleaning stuff? I'm thinking attach the cleaning stuff first, then push it through the action towards the muzzle then pull it out again. the guy stuck the rod down the muzzle first, when it came out the action, he put on the brush and then pulled it back out the muzzle. did the same thing with the patches. I didn't say anything, I thought may be I missed if something was said as to why he was doing it that way. Should I have said something, or would there have been a reason he was cleaning it like that? it was a bolt action 22.

On the range we learned breathing while aiming. this time it seemed like I was thinking too much about breathing that I forgot how they told us to squeeze the trigger, when I remembered that I forgot to breath. lol wasn't a good night for shooting.