Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Really botched my buck search... >

Really botched my buck search...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Really botched my buck search...

Old 01-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
If you were a poacher because you hit a deer and lost it, 50% of the bowhunters out there would be guilty. If you find that deer and it is junk, you did not get that deer. I don't care if it is a 20 pointer. In Pa. if you kill a deer and it is not fit for consumption, the Game Warden will give you another tag. (arrow hit in early season usually) Sounds like most of the people here are rack hunting, not deer hunting.
On the side, buckshot is 15 .32 caliber balls.

exactly, cause you're supposed to tag that deer with the tag you have.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:12 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a deer two years ago that was no good. After a long drag, I got it home and started to cut it up and it was poisoned. It was the late season and I already had killed two deer, so I just threw it out. I think the kid did the right thing. It was just a bad turn of events, and he did think he missed. The story does not sound as if he has this type of thing happen twice a year every year, and there is plenty of that going on.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Dominant Buck

"On the side, buckshot is 15 .32 caliber balls."
Halfbaked

Depends..if it's
2 3/4 OO Buck
3 inch OO Buck
31/2 OO Buck
2 3/4 is 9 balls and 3 inch is 15 balls..and 3 1/2 " magnum is 18 balls
I still won't use buck..too risky

However,
2 3/4 delivers 1300 FPS

3 inch is 1200 FPS

3 1/2 is 1100 FPS

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-31-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

IpscShooter, sorry but i got to throw this in there.... My last trip to Texas, that i didnt hunt on, i was askin guys how the deer were around there since Texas deer as SOOOOO big.... anyway after a bit of talkin, they told me that they would just go out and shoot bucks all day untill they killed the one they liked most, so instead of tryin to "teach" this new hunter something that has learned already before we all told him, go out in ur own back yard and try teach some of the hunters there..... So i guess im agreeing with White-Tail-Deer on this one.
This guy is a new hunter, he makes a mistake, he learned from it before everyone even told him what to do. Mistakes happen... its life
And sorry if i sounded harsh, but reading some of the post bout telling him to do this and that, kinda makes me a lil mad since he already LEARNED his mistake, if it didnt get across to u yet...
Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

happens... i would tag it though..
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't hang on it to much, there is nothing u can do now. If u want to tag it then tag it if you don't then don't its only up to you. on a plus side you helped feed a family of foxes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by blueahlijr
IpscShooter, sorry but i got to throw this in there.... My last trip to Texas, that i didnt hunt on, i was askin guys how the deer were around there since Texas deer as SOOOOO big.... anyway after a bit of talkin, they told me that they would just go out and shoot bucks all day untill they killed the one they liked most, so instead of tryin to "teach" this new hunter something that has learned already before we all told him, go out in ur own back yard and try teach some of the hunters there..... So i guess im agreeing with White-Tail-Deer on this one.
This guy is a new hunter, he makes a mistake, he learned from it before everyone even told him what to do. Mistakes happen... its life
And sorry if i sounded harsh, but reading some of the post bout telling him to do this and that, kinda makes me a lil mad since he already LEARNED his mistake, if it didnt get across to u yet...
There's not anybody "in my back yard" doing any such thing. If I knew of someone doing it, you can bet I'd be on the phone to the game warden.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I killed a good buck a couple years ago and it got dark. Coyotes got him before I did. I went to a warden and he gave me the option of giving up the head or using my tag on it. If I gave him the head I would have got to keep my tag. I used my tag but if it had been a small rack I would have kept the tag. YMMV
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Seems to me that the way it works in both PA and OK, in the instances described above, is that you HAVE TO tag the deer. If the deer is inedible, you can take it to the warden and receive a new tag, if you turn in the entire deer (i.e. you can't keep the antlers). You don't get to just "not tag the deer."
Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blueahlijr
birds of a feather flock together, so im not surprised by your comment
if i was in your back yard, i would have been tellin them nit wits what was up!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Mrez7ahZA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.