Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Legal Question

Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Spike

ya, i'll see how it goes. I hope is not to expensive.. i'm kinda broke until april when my husband graduates..
Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have NEVER been asked for my hunter safety course card!!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

I guess one thing we learn is that all states are different. When Indiana went to the hunter safety requirement I was grandfathered in. I never had a certificate and was never asked for one. I then went to a lifetime license so I don't worry about it now. So some states might require the sellers of the license to check for your certificate and some might make it the hunters responsibility. One thing I can tell you is that weather or not Wal Mart messed up you still violated the law as well (I know the OP knows this but some people are still blaming Wal Mart) so you will pay the fine and Wal Mart may or may not be punished. Kind of like the kid that buys beer at the liquor store before he is 21. The liquor store is in trouble but the kid has still broken the law.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
Kind of like the kid that buys beer at the liquor store before he is 21. The liquor store is in trouble but the kid has still broken the law.
In B.C. You may be required to produce 2 pcs of I.D. if suspected of being under age. My sons friend produced a real Drivers Licence and real Social Insurance number under someone elses name. Picture kinda lolled like the kid but wasn't. The kid argued and wouldn't admit
when questioned by the emplyee.So the employee called the police, huge huge trouble.The kid is charged with producing false driving identification and identity theft. Could serve prison time cause he is 18 and could be considered an adult, and face up to over $50,000 in fines which the parents may have to fork out. All for booze. Just stupid.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 01-24-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Spike

yes i know im at fault for sure, i never blamed walmart at all. it is my fault for not understanding. i knew that people needed classes. but my husband was 20 and they asked for his and i was 21 and they didnt ask for mine so i kind of thought that over 21 you didn't need it! i don't know. i don't understand why i got caught either i was snitched or they have started doing random checks?! i think i should be okay at court. never been in trouble with the law..
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Fork Horn

I'm from maine. I took one years ago, and I couldn't find proof of mine if I had too, but up here you need to either show it to get your license or show your old licence.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
One thing I can tell you is that weather or not Wal Mart messed up you still violated the law as well (I know the OP knows this but some people are still blaming Wal Mart) so you will pay the fine and Wal Mart may or may not be punished. Kind of like the kid that buys beer at the liquor store before he is 21. The liquor store is in trouble but the kid has still broken the law.
Hopefully the OP learns a lesson and punishment isnt too severe,
which i doubt it will be, first time offenders usually just get a slap on the wrist and a small fine.
as for walmart, yes i do put some blame on walmart,
they do a disservice to hunters especially young hunters, who may ask the clerk questions, some of those questions can be serious legal questions,
couple lessons to be learned
always be check the regs yourself,
never take others word at face value when its your license/hide on the line.

also remember when your out in the woods,
99.9% of the time dnr agents are not out there watching you,
you will come across times where you have to make a judgement call on your own,
do you do whats legal only when you risk being caught?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some states have a grandfather clause that you need one of:
- born before a certain date (usually covers pretty old guys!)
- a license from a previous year
- hunter safety cert

Your friends might be covered by some sort of grandfather clause.

Explain to the judge that you went with your husband, he was asked, you weren't so you thought there was an age limit. Enroll in and take (if possible) the course before the court date, bring proof.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SemperFi_Krissy
yes it is my fault for not understanding. i knew that people needed classes. but my husband was 20 and they asked for his and i was 21 and they didnt ask for mine so i kind of thought that over 21 you didn't need it! .
Like I said before go get the hunters safety certificate before your court date and explain to the judge what you said above.

Be apolojetic for not understanding the full extent of the law.More than likely like someone posted above the fine will be minimual.

Was this your 1st year hunting?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

They might not let you go hunting for s few years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.