Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer hunting with a ground blind >

Deer hunting with a ground blind

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting with a ground blind

Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer hunting with a ground blind

I am thinking of hunting whitetail deer with my son from a ground blind this fall. In the places we hunt a portable blind would most likely grow legs and walk off if it was left out any length of time.

Has anyone had any success moving around day to day using portable ground blinds or do deer need a chance to get used to them?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Have good luck

I have a portable blind I seldom use .
I do use it when I go downstate for there season opener .
We only hunt 3 days .
I started bringing it with me abought 3 years ago .
2 out of 3 years Ive taken 2 deer out of it .
I usualy hunt out of my portable tree stand .
Now I hunt out of my ground blind for all evening hunts downstate and have great luck .
I set the stand upon a Friday afternoon and hunt it on Saturday afternoon and see deer .
They are greta ,
As all locations for hunting , make sure you set up your blind downwind of where the deer are entering a feild or location your watching .
There are a ton of them out there , heck now they even make them with sent eliminator .
Mine cost me less than $50 bucks
So the answer to your question is No . You can set up your blind and hunt out of it the same day .
Keep it near some cover like , brush , tees, etc. so it blends in some with the suroundings .
Hope this helps , Good luck ..
Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Most of us on our leased land have permanent ground blinds and have super luck. I'm building a new $500 4' X 8' this summer with all the bells and whistles. Put 'em in the right location and they're just as effective as elevated box blinds etc.

And alot easier to get in and out of....
Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tips.

I prefer hunting from tree stands and my son took his first deer this past fall from a buddy stand. I'm just looking for more options as I only have one buddy stand and he is not quite mature enough to hunt from an elevated stand by himself.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to leave a ground blind in a spot for at least a week before hunting it.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take my wife and hunt with ground blinds here in Il, she won't hunt from an elevated blind. I have put them up and killed deer as soon as 2 hours later. First time I bought one on Thurs. night, put it up on Fri morn at 6 am and killed a 163" 10pt at 0753 hrs. Just looked at my watch and looked up to see him coming through the honeysuckle thicket and he looked right at us as he was coming out, didn't see us at about 45 yds. I had it backed up into a hole in the honeysuckle/briar thicket and put some over the blind and a few branches/limbs in front. Never knew we were there till the SST slammed into his ribs!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 01-23-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Guy at work took his brand new blind out the first time and drilled a nice thick 8 pointer from it 8 yards away.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Spike

I have been using the Hunter's Specialties Adjustable Backpack Blind. It' height is adjustable, having (5) telescoping legs (similar to a camera tripod) and measures 12' long by 27"-54" high (adjustable height). You can check it out at http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...5469/352.0.1.1 I find the portability very convenient for changing stand locations. I also carry the Ultimate Swivel Tree Seat http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGgQ8wIwAQ#. This is a comfortable seat for attaching to a tree when surrounded by the blind. I also use the Guide Gear Swivel Seat http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=686981 which is also very comfortable.

Getting back to the stand & your question. I have set up in the early afternoon and also early morning (well before light) with the stand and have had deer come by within hours. Wind is the most critical factor, so locate accordingly. I usually will brush in behind me. When dressed in camo & sitting behind the blind you would be tough to see.

Go portable - it works!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

I hunt mine the same day. I only use my ground blind when hunting public land. So, I carry it in, set it up, and hunt. Try and blend it well with the surrounding area, watch your scent and stay downwind. I see a lot of deer out of mine. Good luck!
-Jake
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I hunt mine the same day. I only use my ground blind when hunting public land. So, I carry it in, set it up, and hunt. Try and blend it well with the surrounding area, watch your scent and stay downwind. I see a lot of deer out of mine. Good luck!
-Jake
What he said. Don't try to put it up in the middle of a pasture. Put it in a tree line or under a wide old tree facing some trails. I've had nothing but good luck out of mine as long as I make it blend in and watch the wind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.