Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Shows

Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Spike

Default Whitetail Deer Hunting Shows

I have been thinking about this for quite sometime but after watching Driven on outdoor channel last night thought I would post and see what others thought about this.

Nicole from Driven dropped a monster 10 with a muzzleloader in Iowa that was impressive to say the least, but what big buck taken on film isnt impressive? What wasnt impressive to me is the fact that the blinds she was hunting from were over partially cut corn fields that hadnt been hunted the whole year. These fields morning and night looked like a petting zoo of big bucks and hundreds of does. With absolutely no human pressure and an abundant food source on this farm she had to simply set in the elevated blind pull the trigger when the big boy showed up.

What I am getting at with this is that it starts to make the average hunter that isnt blessed with these resources aimlessly searching for the big 5X5 with 6" brows and a 30" spread.

I feel as if big money hunting product manufacturers have pumped so much money into these shows and taken the traditon out of conservation of a natural resource. I also feel like I am watching nothing more than a competition between these big name hunters and who can shoot the biggest whitetail on Tv.

It just makes me feel that far too many of us are setup to fail and be disappointed year after year when were not taking pics or dropping off the head at the taxidermist. Additionally we continue to spend $$$$$$ buying the latest and greatest products manufactured to give us the edge on that big buck that never comes to be.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Spike

It's a simple formula: Big Bucks = Big $$$, and vice versa
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by radlad31
It's a simple formula: Big Bucks = Big $$$, and vice versa
all the shows seem to use the same formula
hard to tell one show from the other,
think most viewers are less interested in the actual shot,
more interested in the events leading up to the shot,
and after the shot,
Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

I look at it like Hollywood. What you see on tv is fantasy. What we see out in the woods is reality. If you have been hunting for very long it is easy to critic these shows compared to what you are experiencing out in the woods. Most of us all know the difference and do not judge our experiences with those of the Hollywood hunters. Thats what makes hunting so enjoyable. One persons clean killed doe is just as much a trophy as anothers monster double drop tine buck. Its all in the experience. Personally I am just a meat hunter and enjoy every moment I am out in the woods. If I get a deer, its just a bonus. If it is a buck, its another bonus for me. If it is a wall hanger, man that's just great too. I am just fortunate, or blessed, to have a couple heads on the wall after thirty some odd years of hunting areas with a ton of pressure. Thats what makes those bucks so special to me. They did not come easy and I dont take them for granted. As far as I am concerned, anyone can take three or four grand and go to Texas and kill one of them wall mounters. I know because one of my friends did just that. If that is what you are in to, then more power to ya. Thats just not how I grew up hunting.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Them people on those shows make it look easy probobly because they have thousands of dollars to spend on a deer. If I kill a buck I'm happy if I kill one worth mounting I'm real happy but I feel like too many people go out looking for horns and that's it and I don't agree with it. Now I like killing big bucks too who don't but I feel that the time spent in the woods with family is so much better and killin a doe is a trophy to me. I don't have the money to hunt places where you see 3 or 4 huge bucks a week if I see one I'm lucky and if I get a shot at one I feel blessed.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be perfectly honest with you I do hunt in a place that if I went out everyday for a week the odds are quite good I would see at least 3 or 4 trophy size bucks. At least for the area. Its all private land and only limited amounts of hunting pressure...true some deer are basically residents, there really isn't much you can do about it. If they were on your corn you wouldn't run them off either.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

If we watch those shows we must understand that a most, not all, but most of those are on highly managed properties. Not necessarily high fenced properties, but highly managed, huge tracts of land. A couple thousand acres of properly managed land should produce big bucks year after year. Those shows do make it look easy but I believe the majority of us understand and do not expect that to happen in our everyday average hunting situations. I am with the majority of you and am just as happy with a nice doe as with a buck of any size. Sure a nice rack is great but it is the hunt that matters. This video is of one of, if not the best hunts I have ever been on, and I wasn't even the guy shooting. I was simply running the camera, and no it is not a "trophy" or "monster" buck. But we are both as proud of this deer as any we have ever shot, and yes, we do have a few nice racks on our walls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Cd1t-T5hM
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Spike

If you stop and think about it, its how companies sell there products. If you listen to them all they really amount to is glorified salesmen. My fiance had a friend down around thanksgiving and her friends bf came along and he was a hunter that only believed what he seen on tv. Well he wanted to watch a dvd i have thats a team from around my area, well these guys are just average hunters and they kill more does than anything and i think they may kill 2-3 bucks on the video that wouldnt go over 130 and the kid looked at me and says why would he shoot that. He just assumed that since your on tv and have a dvd out you have to shoot a 180 in. deer
Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Spike

i am with these guys. i love to hunt and be in the woods, having the chance to bring home a deer is just a bonus. i must of seen 40 deer this year and not one of them within bow range. i watch those shows with my wife and just laugh at them and explain to her that deer do not just walk around all day like that, and not every deer is a buck or has a huge rack. just enjoy the experience of hunting and forget about those shows, they are just a giant infomercial anyways. happy hunting.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Spike

I saw that show and she did run the deer off the corn when she entered her box blind.Only they came back 30 minutes later and she shot her buck plus a doe.If you or me ran deer off where we hunt the deer wouldnt come out again that same night.Ithink she even had the outfitter cut some of the corn to make her shooting easier.MUST BE NICE LOL........

Last edited by browningbolt; 01-19-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.