Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how many times have you had predators mess your hunt up >

how many times have you had predators mess your hunt up

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how many times have you had predators mess your hunt up

Old 07-23-2003, 01:42 PM

Default how many times have you had predators mess your hunt up

i have been hunting several times when i have had deer in front of me an i look to my right or left i see a bobcat coming or a coyote coming and it messes up the hunt.every time i see predator i shoot it .
Old 07-23-2003, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many times have you had predators mess your hunt up

well i have dogs chase deer though the woods. i was about ready to shot the dogs.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanksgiving morning I had a total of 4 coyotes go by my stand. I finally got a shot off at the 3rd one. The rest busted me trying to get position on them.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:06 PM

Foxes in PA have been a problem in the past. I' ve shot once at 1 and thought I had him pegged but all I ended up with was a pile of pretty red hair. For such a little animal the deer usually run from them.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:06 PM

While I don' t see them very often, the area I hunt has a growing population of wolves. Last year I saw many tracks, and when I saw a pack of three of four fresh tracks from the night, I generaly didn' t see many deer that day. There are two distinct packs in the area, not that far from each other.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve had dogs, bobcats and coyotes ruin hunts. The best thing to do is stay put, the deer may move when things settle down.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dogs have been a problem,once a panther.By the time he walked by I didn' t want to see a deer.I could see me tracking it and him tracking me.Felt kind of silly haveing only a stick and string.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:32 AM

Usually i will see a few coyotes or a bobcat or two during the season. I dont shoot the coyotes until late spring when they have pups. I was told that coyotes are very prolific when it comes to maintaining their population and will have more or less pups depending on the population in the area. Shooting coyotes in the spring or early summer not only kills the coyote but also causes the demise of their pups who rely on them at that stage. I have been doing this for several years and last hunting season I didnt see one coyote.
My problem last year was black bears. I had 8 hunts ruined by black bears last year. All the logging in the area had them moving around alot in my area. Cant shoot them here though.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

It seems if I see a coyote the area is messed up and it doesn' t matter if I shoot them or not, so now I shoot all of them I can. I usually don' t mess with bobcats or fox and have seen deer after they left the area.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only thing I can say for sure has messed up hunts for me has been dogs, one in particular last year!!!! Old hunting dog that just wanted to be with someone hunting, unfortunantly it was the landowners dog, he told me I could kennel her when I hunted, but the old girl got wise real quick and the second I pulled in the drive she would head out into the field and wait until I was headed to one of my stands before following. I finally got permission to access his property from a neighbor and the dog problem dissappeared.

Quick Reply: how many times have you had predators mess your hunt up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.