Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Binoculars to Use?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default What Binoculars to Use?

Hi Guys
I have a question about binoculars. I live and hunt in Maine where there is mostly woods, some fields and clear cuts. My question is what would you recommend for binocular power 10x25, 8x21 etc....?
Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in northern Idaho, we have about the same, lots of timber, clear cuts, and some feilds. I bought a pair of Leupold Olympic 10x50mm binoculars last year, they work great. They are part of Leupolds cheaper Green Ring line, price is about $350. By far the best binoculars I have ever owned, the are exceptionally clear and work great at dawn and dusk. I would highly recomend them to anyone. They also have a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by fritz1; 01-09-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on your criteria. I hunt strictly monsters where every inch counts. So I would go 10x 42 or 8x42 something similar with a quality bino.Still give me a great exit pupil and and that higher mag will allow me to determine the size of the rack and points on the rack weather it be in the fields or in the woods alot easier cause it can be quite dark in the thick stuff especially around dawn and dusk and cloudy periods.Racks blend into the background very easily with branches infront and behind the animal it can hide very important information I need to know very quickly.I can very easily determine what I need to know about size.If size doesn't matter 8x32 in a quality bino.But I suggest you stick with 32 -42 size objective lens don't go with an objective any smaller, the lack of light will hinder the performance and make you wouder.Quality Binos are smaller more compact
alot lighter,than they once where, and are made with material that offer waterproof and shockproof.Glass is far superior now, and so is the quality of coatings on the glass.Binos are made better now a days, and bigger objective binos in alot of brands and models can be a huge advantage over smaller objective sizesin the same magnification, cause wieght and size are now longer factors.But
I suggest 8x32 10x 42 8x42 over anything else in a quality glass.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 01-09-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I just picked up a pair of Leupold Green Ring 8x30's for $89.99. They're very clear and crisp and my eyes liked them much more than any of the other brands under $150. I picked them up mostly to ride around in the truck and archery hunt and so far I'm very pleased with them. They're small and light yet very clear and crisp.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the Leupold Green Rings 10 x 42 LOVE THEM!!!!
Bought 5 years ago for 300.00 for birding..

But for hunting I want something light and small..I have the 7 x 35 Bushnelle 75.00 fits in one of my pockets on my hunting belt / fanny pack..they are about 3 x 4 inches .
Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default 8 x 42

I have the Nikon 8 x 42 Monarchs .
The quality and clarity is worth it .
I have around $300. i them but more then likely will never have to buy another pair .
There warrantied for a 25 yr. no fault .
I hunt and view anywhere from 0 to over 800 yards .
Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

General purpose binoculars should be, IMO, 7 or 8 power.

I feel that 10 power binoculars offer too much magnification in the thick woods. Another thing about high magnification binoculars is that the image becomes increasingly unsteady as you go up in magnification. If I need more power than 8X then I need a spotting scope.

Stay away from the ultra compact binocs in the 8 or 10X25. They are a complete waste of money even in the ultra high end price range. Look for something close to 40mm for the objective lens diameter.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
General purpose binoculars should be, IMO, 7 or 8 power.

I feel that 10 power binoculars offer too much magnification in the thick woods. Another thing about high magnification binoculars is that the image becomes increasingly unsteady as you go up in magnification. If I need more power than 8X then I need a spotting scope.

Stay away from the ultra compact binocs in the 8 or 10X25. They are a complete waste of money even in the ultra high end price range. Look for something close to 40mm for the objective lens diameter.
Agreed on all points.

I know it's cliche, but you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to stuff like optics. Of course, at every price level there are going to be models that stand out, but a quality binocular is an investment worth saving up for, especially for a hunter.

I have a Leupold Golden Ring 8x42 HD, which I think you can find for under $700 if you search around. I can't imagine a better binocular to take hunting in the woods. Their performance during the last 20 mins. of shooting light is unbelievable--you can tell that they were designed by hunters.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

I have 10x42 nikon monarchs. they are great but sometimes wisj I had the 8x42s. you do get what you pay for. I have had bushnell, nikon, leupold, alpen etc, and now stick to the better stuff. If I could afford swarovski, leica etc., I would buy them in a heart beat.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

8x42 vortex diamondbacks, best value in quality glass on the market.lifetime no questions asked warranty and crystal clear.water proof fog proof. there $200.00 dollars and as good as any $500-$700 glass you will look through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.