Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Binoculars to Use?

Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

anything swarski depending on what you are hunting
Old 01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would stick with something in the 8x42 range. Cameralnd NY did have some very good blemished Minox BV's on their site for around $150. Pretty good glass for the money. Looked at a set of Monarchs at Gander Mountain and they looked good as well.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Spike

Out west open country I'd almost say you have to have 10x

anywhere else 8x would probably be ideal.

I think for the money Pentax are probably the greatest value out there...
Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Tennessee we have some pretty thick woods too. I have some Leupold Gold Ring 10x42's and love them! I would prefer them to the 8x42, but it is all up to you. I have looked through some other 10x binos and had trouble holding them steady, but don't have this problem at all with these. Got a great deal on them through Cabelas...paid $579 total after a $100 mail-in rebate!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a pair of 10x42 Carsons (not a house hold name) for under $200 and they are exceptional. As clear as glass can be, very sharp, and let in a lot of light. Make sure you get a good bino strap. I like the Butler Creek shoulder harness type.

Last edited by SJAdventures; 01-13-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:32 PM
Spike

I have found that a 42mm objective lens is a great size for gathering light while remaining fairly small and lightweight. So a 8X42 or 10X42 is my preference.
When you go with a smaller lens than 42mm you are losing good light gathering ability and as a result, they won't perform very well in low light conditions, which is exactly when you need them to perform.
When you go with a larger objective lens, you get better light gathering capability, but you start to put on weight, which can be tiring if you are using the binos all day.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:33 PM
Spike

Selecting the right binoculars can be a crucial decision, depending on your specific needs. Consider factors such as magnification, lens diameter, field of view, and weight. Whether you're into birdwatching, hiking, or stargazing, researching user reviews and expert recommendations can help you find binoculars that align with your interests. Don't forget to test them out if possible before making a final decision. Happy exploring