Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what to do?

Old 07-22-2003, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what to do?

im very cautious about hunting spot theives...this year there was snow on the ground...and we drug 4 deer from the same area.....it got me thinking.....someone can see them gut piles and drag marks....find our spot and beat us to it next year....its been ours for 2 years now.....same exzact logpile.....but this year with the snow and 3 deer drug out by 9am....you walk by and that looks liek a good spot....or see us dragging when noone else really is dragging yet wit ha pile of deer....they can follow that back to our spot.....anyone have any expirience with that? im sure im just thinking way to far ahead.....but we passed up ALOT of guys skunked so far walking around looking for a spot to hunt....if i were them id follow our track and get me a nice spot.....you think people do that? anyone have any expiriences with anything like htat? this is a state game lands and 1000s of people hunt it.....its alot of acres.....8000 or 10000 i believe.....so its not my land to like..post or anything....and its not far off a human trail...we could bust brush and drag through the woods and have a straight path too the road but we take a human trail cut by the game commision that takes you the long way out...anyone? im probally thinking to much lol
Old 07-22-2003, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what to do?

I have seen some good places that got over run just like that . The less you advertise the area the better chance you have of keeping it a secret . Good Luck
Old 07-23-2003, 01:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

If there are that many people in your woods, chances are someone else has been there in the past, just not when you were around! I agree try and cover your tracks, with snow, blood and drag marks it is pretty difficult. The bonus is those who are real avid hunter hit the wood real early and have their opening day spot picked out long in advance. The guys who are wandering around without a clue are also the ones who are usually last on scene with no real game plan. Hey if it happens like last year they will be too late, as you will have came and gone.

I don' t really worry about it to much, if it is free access land than what can you do about it anyway. I try to be discreet, never tell anybody details(except my hunting partners) and always be the first to arrive and leave.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

the only problem i have ever had , is ribbon hunters...they follow someone else' s ribbon' s in and hunt........that is why i went out a few weeks ago and took down almost a 5 gallon bucket full of ribbonsbelieve it or not ,that is a bunch of ribbons too.....[][:-]
Old 07-23-2003, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Regardless of how long you' ve hunted the spot it isn' t your land as you pointed out . First come first served is the rule on public land or land where more than a few are granted access . Get there first , sleep over if the spot is that good .
Old 07-23-2003, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You think about things like that too much. You' ll end up with an ulcer before you are 21 The only thing I can offer is have a back up spot picked out, if you never need it great, but be prepared in case you do.

Also to add, yes I' ve had guys move in on my Dad and I' s spot before. We hunt a piece of land that just basically us and the landowner during rifle season. We had our spot and the landowner had his. Both of us killed deer, but us a little more regularly. Well one year we get there and he took over the spot. Never really said anything about it, we weren' t too mad either cause there are lots of good spots, but that was not a real nice thing to do.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

im probally thinking to much lol
LOL I get a head ache when I think!!! If the spot is taken next year I would be prepared and do a head them off at the pass manuveur!!! What I mean by that is the deer you are killing at your spot are coming from somewhere, just figure out where and set up to pop them before they get to the old spot that the other folks took from you.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser...I think something should be said of not only where you and your party hunts but also how you hunt. It seems to me that you guys are successful because you are not only dedicated but you also do your homework. If I were you, I would simply continue doing what you have done in the past. If that area is now invaded by others and you feel uncomfortable hunting that area, then scout elswhere and setup where sign dictates. It' s not where you hunt, it' s how you hunt and it' s obvious your group knows how to hunt.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys.......i did forget of the MANY backup spots we have.....and the deer come from 2 directions...less come from the right because some guy sits there year after year.....the spot is a great on to us...2 years weve tacken 5 deer and only hunted it 3 times not more then a few hours each hunt because the drag out is too long to sit there and let the deer pile up much more...we see alot of deer in the time we are there...i really dont know that many people would track us back and hunt our spot....it is pretty close to a 2 mile hike in and a 2 mile drag out....takes us 30-45 mins depending on the weather and snow conditions to hike back...i think next year im going to have dad help me find a spot of my own so i can let him hunt his honey hole himself...he found it....he deserves it....im 16 now and learned alot...he doesnt have to sit beside me anymore...he used to take nice bucks every year until he started taking my uncle hunting one year then i turned 12 and it was me....he hasnt taken a buck since...i mean he was more then excited when i got mine...and loves taking does....but he deserves his spot i think...the area i want is about 1/2 mile clsoer to the truck too! lol......thanx guys....and i have shot deer out of a backup spot and i wasnt sitting there more then 20 mins...if thats what has to be done it probally wont kill our hunting.....we had a tough time deciding which spot to hunt the first year because they all look that good....